May Contain Nuts...

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ed's mum

May Contain Nuts...

Post by Ed's mum »

Milla wrote:
It's the powerless bit which is so stressy. Which is why we grown ups should be allowed to take the tests and not leave it to the vagaries of the children !
Do try to watch 'May Contain Nuts' when it is shown on the television. They are currently advertising it as 'Coming soon' to (ITV1??). I read the book a couple of years ago - I think it may well hit a few of our raw nerves!! :mrgreen:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Why have you posted this in the independent section?! :evil:

:wink:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Because (if I remember rightly) it is about a lady trying to get her daughter into a selective independent school. Have I remembered incorrectly??
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I LOVE that book,
Whatever section the post is in :P

I think you are right.They are competing for a scholarship.
However the issues raised make it really relevant to all sections of the forum.
Milla

Post by Milla »

I think the book (John O Farrell) relates to grammar, but, yes, exactly the same thing whereby the mother (small, desperate, slightly more sussed maths-wise than the daughter) sits the test in her place. Very funny.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Okay I'm wrong then but, regardless of which type of school it is, it does highlight the lengths we parents go to - she definitely sits an entrance exam (so it's still relevant!!?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I was joking Ed's mum - just thought you were trying to say something about us on here! :lol: I do dream of inhabiting my son's mind at school sometimes, especially in his English lessons! :roll:
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Thursday 11th of June 9 - 10.

In the book, it is an indep school but could equally have been a grammar because it exposes all the same issues. :roll:
Hope it is a fraction as funny as the book.It had me laughing out loud one Christmas.Look forward to it!
Milla

Post by Milla »

oops, sorry, and I've read it and all. Laughed, but felt the pain.
fm

Post by fm »

It is about an independent and the irony is that the mother sits the exam because they don't think the child will pass the exam, not because they can't afford the fees. During the exam the mother does a great job on most of it, then goes into meltdown for the maths (which had always been her weak point) and the black, poor, hoping for scholarship child near her sees her crying and takes pity and gives her her answers. As a consequence, the girl/mother not only passes but pips the girl to the scholarship for which they have no need, meaning the other girl loses out.

I was given this by parent and I lend it out if I think a parent is showing signs of going 'completely round the bend' during the 11+ process.

I have, on occasion, suggested (very tongue in cheek) this solution to a parent i.e. go and sit the exam in their child's place.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now