Clement Danes Appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
raceytracey

Clement Danes Appeal

Post by raceytracey »

We are going to appeal for this school on Monday. Very nervous about it all but just going to go and put our case forward as best we can and just wait for the outcome.

Anyhow my question is:
Clement Danes have 208 places for year 7 and these have been filled.
in 2008 5 children got in on appeal and the pupil numbers were still 208 and have been for the last couple of years.

So does this mean that that a few places are kept back for these appeals. If children drop out do they keep these places for the appeal process.

The Headmistress of the school is going to be there to put her argument forward. In her letter which we received from the appeals team she has said that one extra student will tip the balance and they wont be able to run the school efficiently!!
WP

Re: Clement Danes Appeal

Post by WP »

raceytracey wrote:Clement Danes have 208 places for year 7 and these have been filled.
in 2008 5 children got in on appeal and the pupil numbers were still 208 and have been for the last couple of years.

So does this mean that that a few places are kept back for these appeals. If children drop out do they keep these places for the appeal process.
They are forbidden from keeping places open for pending appeals. However it's possible that they admit children on appeal, going over 208, but then the number goes down again if people with places get into other schools via waiting lists. They'll only start admitting from their own waiting lists again if the number falls below 208.
The Headmistress of the school is going to be there to put her argument forward. In her letter which we received from the appeals team she has said that one extra student will tip the balance and they wont be able to run the school efficiently!!
Heads always say that, but it's for the panel to balance the needs of your child against the inconvenience to the school.

Good luck!
sortie

Post by sortie »

Good luck to all those of you appealing. Interesting to see that CD had 5 successful appeals last year but pan number remained 208. It sounds like any successful appeals may prevent CI lists from moving any further. Perhaps this may be the case at other schools too.
local school mummy
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

Good Luck. Hope you are able to relax after
WP

Post by WP »

Watford Boys had 3 successful appeals last year, and stayed at 3 over PAN.
raceytracey

Post by raceytracey »

Well I have finally finish writing my speech for Monday for the appeal and have written around 500 words.

To be honest I feel as though I want to read out what I have written so that I dont miss anything out and so that it flows.

Is it going to be ok do you think to read it and do you think I have written too much. (Dont want to bore the pants off them!!) I will be practising in front of the mirror this weekend!!

I dont have the reason that my daughter under achieved on the day as I think she did very well based on her ability and although she loves music, dance and drama which CD offer I dont believe this reason would stand a chance in an appeal.

Surely most parents put these reasons down and the appeal panel must hear it hundreds of times. To be honest what is really going to sway this panel on Monday. Not much I dont think :?
watmum

Post by watmum »

raceytracey wrote:Surely most parents put these reasons down and the appeal panel must hear it hundreds of times. To be honest what is really going to sway this panel on Monday. Not much I dont think :?
And there-in lies the problem with these Hertfordshire appeals, Racey tracey, you need to have some kind of proof of an error on their part and something to make you stand out from the crowd. However. appeals can and do work so the very best of luck to you, and I really hope it goes your way!
raceytracey

Post by raceytracey »

Hi watmum

Thank you for your wishes of good luck. Had a sleepless night last night and sure to be the same tonight. Think a couple of glasses of wine will have to be consumed :lol:

One of her friends heard yesterday that they got into CD and this is what I am most worried about that she will end up going to Westfield on her own. I know they do make new friends anyway wherever they end up but try explaining that to your DD who is just distraught about the whole thing.
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

Appeals can work I was told yesterday by a very happy parent that they had won appeal for parmiters prior to this had been offered BH so Mum was so elated.

You will have tried everything in your power to support your DD wishing you the best of luck for Monday.
Daogroupie

Best of Luck for Monday

Post by Daogroupie »

You are doing your job as a parent, to do the very best within your power for your dd. You are the very best advocate for her and you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

If I was a head, I would want the children of parents who were prepared to fight for them. What better genes could you ask for?

I did a couple of primary school appeals for parents who did not feel able to do them. The legal class size limit was against me but I felt I had done the best I could for them.

We will all be wishing you well.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now