sats scores

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

peter

sats scores

Post by peter »

does anyone know the differance as a percentage between the levels ie whats the difference between a 4c and a 4b. Do you think at the end of year five 4c for maths 5 for reading/comprehension and 4c for writing is good enough for an appeal for a miss of 3 points. Reading age was 11.6 thank you for any help that can be given
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Assuming these levels were based on the 'official' Year 5 optional NC tests the level boundaries are on:

http://www.qca.org.uk/12483.html#Year%205

Hope these help - what are predicted Y6 NC levels? Three 'good' level 5s are a good sign!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Yes, I think you need to know the school's predictions for KS2.

In some cases borderline KS2 predictions might be explained by extenuating circumstances, but there needs to be some compelling evidence of high ability (e.g. above average KS1 results, very high alternative reasoning test scores, an exceptional recommendation from the headteacher) - and the more the better!

At an appeal it's the totality of the evidence that's important.

Regards
Etienne
peter

Post by peter »

thank you for your reply, her teacher has said that she will definately support her although I don't know yet whether she will predict all three level fives although I don't see why not. She has an almost perfect report from her end of year five teacher saying that she takes great pride in what she achieves and is determined to learn. I feel very strongly about this situation as she had no tuition compared to almost all her of year group. But can I use this to support her? Also in the six months leading up to the eleven plus my husband was made redundant, we moved house and her grandfather died,although this did not happen the day before it made the whole 11 plus experience difficult for her to cope with. On the day of the test there was alot of distraction in the classroom with one child being sick and a few children crying all adding to the pressure. I realy do appreciate any advise you can give me. Also she is very young and I feel she is a bit of a late developer and only just beginning to feel her feet academically for instance she has just been moved into the top maths group.
peter

Post by peter »

as per previous thread ks1 results were :writing level 3, reading 2a, maths 2a are these any good !?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The QCA site has national data about the 2003 KS1 tests.

I found that:

16% got level 3 in writing
28% got level 3 in reading
29% got level 3 in Maths

so the level 3 is encouraging and writing tends to link to VR.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Peter

Level 2 is average for KS1, so level 3s would have been ideal.

Are we talking about the Berks or the Bucks 11+?

If the 6 months of extenuating circumstances affected your daughter, I would have expected some impact on her routine work. But you describe the year 5 report as "almost perfect". (Sorry - just trying to look at this in the hard-headed way an appeal panel might!)

When you say she is very young, are we talking about an August birthday?

Regards
Etienne
peter

Post by peter »

this is for the berks test and she is middle of june.Don't worry about being blunt !
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Peter

Catherine tells me that preparation is officially recommended for the Berks test. Now, if someone suddenly moved into the area and sat the 11+ at short notice, I think "lack of preparation" would be an extenuating circumstance. If, on the other hand, you took a deliberate decision to do little in the way of preparation, then it is probably not going to be such a strong point.

You've a lot of extenuating circumstances which, so far, I haven't found too persuasive! However, with a gap of three marks, they could well be sufficient, and I think they're all worth a brief mention (don't over-egg the pudding!).

I think your case will be decided on the academic evidence, and it's not yet clear to me just how compelling it's going to be. A lot will depend on the KS2 predictions, and the strength of the school's support.

The year 5 report might be useful evidence, but only if it goes much further than talking about pride in work and determination to learn. There needs to be reference to some solid achievements.

Regards
Etienne
peter

Post by peter »

Dear Etienne, thank you for your reply, your comment regarding dip in performance reminded me that my wife went to see the year five teacher regarding our daughters end of year nfer results as they had dropped from previous years yr3 vr 116 nv 118 yr4 vr 115 nv 120 then in year 5 vr 110 nv 109. She retested the nv and it came to 123. Could this be what I need to show that stress had affected her?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now