Two Tiffin Boys in Year 7 (2008) Aready Dropped Out

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
geling

Two Tiffin Boys in Year 7 (2008) Aready Dropped Out

Post by geling »

Why? Because their parents' (working?) visa in the UK expired and they have to return to their home countries with their parents....

I am wondering if it is fair to the parents whose DS were on the waiting list 08? What's your opinion?

This is a sensitive question I guess. I do hope the following posts ( if there is any) will be written in a tone which the Mods of this forum would accept.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

tricky isn't it - I suppose they don't currently insist on seeing evidence of ones right to reside indefinitely in the UK when you apply for a place.

On second thoughts, I suppose it is only a matter of time before they do!

Do Tiffin offer any year 8 places if space comes up? Many GS have people on waiting lists for such places - maybe if they are interested they ought to phone Tiffin
WP

Post by WP »

hermanmunster wrote:tricky isn't it - I suppose they don't currently insist on seeing evidence of ones right to reside indefinitely in the UK when you apply for a place.
It doesn't have to be indefinite, I think, just resident. These parents might well have had their work permits renewed, but perhaps their employers cut them first in these difficult times.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

that's the thing - do you actually have to prove that you are legally resident or that the children have a right to state funded education here?

Don't remember anything on the CAF about it!!!!!

As there is no requirement to prove this then there will be people who after a while can no longer stay and as you say it may be that the companies find that they no longer want to sponsor an extension of the visa - might be quite expensive having overseas employees here after all.
WP

Post by WP »

I found this on the Surrey site (not Kingston, but presumably under the same law):
Children of compulsory school age coming from abroad with parents who have a right of residence in, or permission to enter, the UK have the same rights as UK residents to apply for a place at a state school.

All parents residing in the UK, other than for a short period of time, come under a legal duty to ensure their children receive education.
geling

Post by geling »

Oh, thanks for your replies.

The GS's offer should give the priority to the boys whose parents live here permanently and pay taxes in this country all the time. Is it a nice idea that the "foreign" boys should apply only for the non-selective schools rather than GS if they really want to enjoy the free education in the UK? Or, only the independent schools for them? I know it is such a complicated question and even PM couldn't answer it well to suit everybody.

Thanks- WP! The above has been written before I read your last post.
Well, in my personal opinion it seems that the "old law" should be revised to reflect the true situation. (Maybe I am wrong?)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi WP

thanks for finding that,

at primary school we had kids "drop in" for a while - they always added something positive to the class.
I also parachuted into another school in the UK for 6 weeks when I was in year 2 juniors er suppose that is year 4 - very interesting experience!

Problem comes when it is a short time at senior school - gets more disruptive for everyone.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

geling wrote:Oh, thanks for your replies.

The GS's offer should give the priority to the boys whose parents live here permanently and pay taxes in this country all the time. Is it a nice idea that the "foreign" boys should apply only for the non-selective schools rather than GS if they really want to enjoy the free education in the UK? Or, only the independent schools for them? I know it is such a complicated question and even PM couldn't answer it well to suit everybody.
I have to say that most large corporations bringing in foreign service employees do pay for their children to attend independents, so it is unlikely that there are many children taking up places at grammars and other good schools which would otherwise be going to local children.

LFH
geling

Post by geling »

Looking for help: thanks for pointing out this. Yes, only 2 boys "gone" so far. Of course, "2 out of 150" is not too many. I am sure these 2 boys will treasure their Tiffin experiennce forever. Good luck to them!
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Kingston has always had a good population of foreign workers on assignment to many of the international companies based in the area so a turnover of people and their children is somewhat inevitable.

Another example of this would be the armed forces who have considerable residential housing in the area.

They come and they go... that's the nature of the modern world?

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now