Girl's jewellery

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Loopyloulou

Girl's jewellery

Post by Loopyloulou »

Seeing as rules on appearance seem to be in vogue...

Reading DD's uniform booklet recently I was surprised (but very pleased) to see that as well as s tud earrings, girls may wear a crucifix (but no other jewellery).

Is this the general rule, or is DD's school an exception?
Loopy
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think a small crucifix and - earrings is fairly standard.
Freya

Post by Freya »

Unless the school is a faith school then I don't think that the rules should specify a crucifix! Either a necklace is allowed or it isn't - it shouldn't matter what symbol is dangling from it!

Just having a hurumph moment there!
sj355

Re: Girl's jewellery

Post by sj355 »

Loopyloulou wrote:Seeing as rules on appearance seem to be in vogue...

Reading DD's uniform booklet recently I was surprised (but very pleased) to see that as well as s tud earrings, girls may wear a crucifix (but no other jewellery).

Is this the general rule, or is DD's school an exception?
Dear Loopyloulou,

The only reason why many schools adopt the no jewellery whatsoever approach is because in the PC times that we live with so much religious senstivity around every sense of proportion or sanity has been completley lost: a school says OK to crucifix, but then someone will say hey what about crescents? Another will say, yes but how large should the Crucifix be (perhaps of Madonna proportions?)! And is not the cross an instrument of torture?

To avoid all this silliness above most schools just ban jewellery altogether and get over with it. Personally I wear very frequently crucifixes although I am an atheist. At school because it was a gift from my mother and I love my mother and today because it is a gift from my husband, whom I love as well - not to mention that it simply looks beautiful. Sometimes things are far simpler that we make them be in society :cry:
sj355
Milla

Re: Girl's jewellery

Post by Milla »

sj355 wrote:
Loopyloulou wrote: Sometimes things are far simpler that we make them be in society :cry:
or should be, if one didn't have to spend half one's time flapping about whether or not someone's just been offended by something meant totally innocuous. So exhausting.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

DD's school will also only allow s tud earrings (one set!) and a small cross or crucifix may be worn round the neck but under the school blouse.

Eldest daughter chooses, for religious reasons , to wear a cross and got told off the other day for wearing it outside her blouse .

I would rather they were strict on such items otherwise girls being girls will wear all sorts of size crosses and jewel encrusted variations for fashion purposes. Before long it would be
" Mum ... can I have a neon cross on a leather thread for my birthday" :roll:
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

P.S

LLL
:lol: Now I know why your" S tud earrings" had a gap in between letters.How bizarre ! :shock:
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

My DD's school states:

"Jewellery: none except a small cross or other religious symbol and watch
Earrings: only one small - or earring may be worn in each ear. No other piercings are allowed."

So the rules seem fairly standard.
guest42

Post by guest42 »

From DD school

"Neither jewellery nor make-up (including nail varnish) are permitted, with the exception of a plain watch"
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

At my son's school they can wear discreet jewellery, small earrings and a simple chain I believe. Ed chooses not to though!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now