Bribery

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

alfie2

Bribery

Post by alfie2 »

My daughter is one of about 8 taking the 11+ in September from her class.

She came home yesterday and told me that one of her friends has been told if she passes the 11+ she will get a laptop and a mobile as a reward!!

I was a bit sceptical about this claim so I have spoken to the mother concerned and she has confirmed it's true.

I was horrified. I told my daughter that it is just a matter of her doing her best in the exam.

If she reaches the required level then she might get a grammar school place but if she doesn't then, so far as she has done her best, thats o.k. She will do well no matter where she goes and will get rewarded either way.

Have others experienced this?
Alfie
Milla

Post by Milla »

oh yes, here in my son's year (now at GS in Y7) a girl was promised Sky in her room, and a mobile. She didn't get in.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Not unusual.

We just took DD to see a range of schools; that was all the motivation required!

Regards
SVE

PS

I do think a 'phone is a good idea for big school; not convinced a laptop is needed in Yr7 anyway; and they depreciate so fast.
Animis opibusque parati
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

We rewarded our DD with a Wii - but not for passing the exam, she got it before she took the exams for putting in the effort into her work.
SSM

Post by SSM »

Our DSs got mobile phones when they finished 11+ for trying their best. It was always pointed out to them the reward was for the hard work and effort they put it (they would have got a mobile for Y7 anyway, as they travel by public transport).

As SVE says the reward and motivation for passing was the school they would get into.
Thomasthetank

Post by Thomasthetank »

I dont know why this bothers you Alfie2, surely its nothing to do with you.
Sounds to me as if you are quite competitive and cant offer this to your child and using it has an excuse to be offended
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Loads of this goes on - however DD and DS know that I am a stingey old ratbag and just assumed that they would pass, hence there was no chance of a reward - just a pat on the back!

However computers and mobiles have been supplied not as a reward but whenever needed to make school work and homework easier.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

hermanmunster wrote:Loads of this goes on - however DD and DS know that I am a stingey old ratbag and just assumed that they would pass, hence there was no chance of a reward - just a pat on the back!

However computers and mobiles have been supplied not as a reward but whenever needed to make school work and homework easier.
we are kindred spirits :lol:

It was just something else they did at school, I didn;t assume tehy would pass, but it was no big deal.

I suppose it helps that we have no super selectives here
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

We promised DD1 that she could have her ears pierced if she passed. In the end though we took her to have them pierced the day after she took the exams as she had worked hard and we would have let her have them pierced anyway even if she had failed.

Some of her friends received a mobile phone but I think most children get those by the time they are at secondary school anyway. My DD1 had one the Christmas before because she walks home from school/swimming sometimes. I also bought her a kilo bar of chocolate the day we found out she had passed (chocoholic just like her mother!) and that was it!

One child in her year group got a laptop, a new mobile and the promise of a holiday "anywhere in the world" but she was veyr much the exception! I have also heard of girls getting ponies because of the saving their parents will make on private school fees!!

DD2, very bright but very lazy, has been promised 10 kgs of chocolate if she gets full marks in each paper but she loses a kilo for each point she drops. This is in the vain hope that she might actually shift her b*m into doing some work (I can dream!).
vrm

Post by vrm »

Not sure why alfie1 is horrified. I promised my daughter a Nintendo Wii if she passed, which she did, and I was true to my word. Whats wrong with a reward as a form of motivation? Happens in all walks of life.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now