Solihull Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2007_Parent

Solihull Schools

Post by 2007_Parent »

I appreciate that this forum deals with B'ham schools. However, I need some advice and guidence on which are the "good" schools in Solihull and what criterias do they put on applications, eg can B'ham children get into their schools or are there cathment restrictions and other red tape. We live in B'ham and would like our daughter to get into one of the schools there. She is year 5 and the applications don't start until next year.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
jah

Post by jah »

Here is the basic Solihull information. I haven't looked at any of the schools myself, as we live the wrong side of Birmingham and I wouldn't condemn my children to travelling that far.
http://www.solihull.gov.uk/section.asp?catid=1582

Post by Guest »

Hi

We also live in Birmingham, but I know people whose children go to school in Solihull. The school everyone wants is Tudor Grange, but you probably won't get your child in as it is over subscribed. You could get them into Lighthall. I only know about lighthall, Tudor Grange and Alderbrook. Alderbrook is, again, quite difficult.

The other alternative is to be a Catholic and go for St Peter's (Philip's? - something with a P). You don't have to live in Solihull but you need to be Catholic and go to church.

Do you live close to Solihull? If you lived a fair way from Solihull, I would think you would be unlikely to get your child in.

All the best
2007_Parent

Post by 2007_Parent »

Many thanks for the reply, I have heard that children in Solihull have probelems getting into schools like Tudor granges and Alderbrook due to the criteria clauses, but, they have children from Hall Green, how is that fair?

What criterias do I need to fulfil to get my daughter into these schools?

Thanks

Post by Guest »

If you live in Hall Green, you could go for Ninestiles (good reputation) or if your child is one of the chosen few to go to Chilcote school or Hall Green Primary, then s/he could go to Hall Green Secondary School. If she is a girl, then Swanshurst is good too. Lighthall is a possibility too if you live in Hall Green.

I am surprised if children who live in Hall Green get into Tudor Grange - may be their parents lied about their address - quite common particularly if the parents have split up and one lives in a suitable catchment area. However, Alderbrook is a possibility. I know of one girl who lives in Hall Green and goes to Alderbrook, but she goes because of the sibling rule. I suppose it is a case of living as close as possible to the border with Solihull - they can't discriminate against you because you live out of district.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now