What do I do

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nicemum

What do I do

Post by nicemum »

My DS has just got one of his scores from the yearly test done, well in maths, his grades which was at the start of YR4 3a has now gone to 3b, he has been moved from the top set to the middle set in his maths group. well okay i am fine with that.

But i object to what the teacher said to him, the teacher said him that she thinks he will struggle in year 5 hence he needs to be moved down.

I am actually offended by that statement, why tell a child that they will struggle in future class, is that not setting the child to have a low esteem of himself in this subject. Maths has always been his favourite subject and which he has excelled from reception and now he will think he is not good at any thing amongst others he is struggling with.

I think the teacher was very insensitive or is it me being just mum. i am thinking of speaking to the class teacher today unless someone here gives me some reason - why set the child to fail by those kind of words - why not try to encourage the child in other ways. - the teacher could have said, your marks were low for the top group, we will move you to the middle group for now and if you work hard then you will be moved up. is that not a better way of saying this.
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

The teacher is obviously missing the 'sensitive gene' and she could have approached the matter far more diplomatically.

I would go in and meet with her and hear it from her directly as to her reasons for moving DS - but why don't you either phone or drop her a note and make a proper appointment to see her next week.

By then, she will be prepared and hopefully have all the necessary information in front of her to explain her way of thinking.

In the meantime, you can make a brief list of a) why was she so blunt especially as it has been DS favourite subject b) how much is he struggling or does she anticipate he will struggle next year c) how does she suggest you can help him over the summer to bring him up to his usual high level in the subject.

I don't agree with the surprise visit on a teacher tactic, you would probably be quite uptight, the teacher will be totally unprepared and that sort of meeting won't resolve anything.

Good luck, although I see it is now school pick up time so may be you are already in that class room giving the teacher 'what for' :lol:

I hope not and I hope you get a satisfactory outcome.

Ambridge
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You need to know what his areas of weakness are - and how the school is addressing them. It sounds as if he has not been well taught this year ... why don't you have a look at a KS2 test paper together and she how he gets on:

http://www.emaths.co.uk/KS2SAT.htm
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now