CGP papers

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
honscupboard

CGP papers

Post by honscupboard »

Hi - has anyone tried the CGP 11 + papers? We used so much of their stuff for SATS and found them useful, but have not seen them mentioned on this forum.
fm

Post by fm »

Years ago I used the CGP verbal and non-verbal but mostly because there were few alternatives, especially in non-verbal. I would not use them now, however, as there are papers available that are closer to the format of a typical NFER paper.
I also found some of their questions/answers very dubious.

I also bought their punctuation book (as we had a proofreading in our exam) but it was riddled with errors and had obviously not been written by someone who really understood punctuation. I did go to the trouble of phoning and pointing this out, feeling they were misleading, and was told that, if I cared to outline all the mistakes (and there were many of them) and send them in, they would have a look at it. Not having the time or inclination to do their work for them, I suggested they employed an expert to check it over themselves. The last I looked, the errors were still there.

I have used CGP happily for SATS/GCSE work and would recommend them as both study books and for reference, although Lett's may be more accessible to poorer students.
honscupboard

Post by honscupboard »

many thanks - good to know as the cost of these books soon mounts up!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

We have been using the Vr papers to introduce a bit of variety.

What I have noticed is that there are 100 questions and only 50 minutes is allowed. My dd is managing to complete approx 93/94 in the time allowed. When she reverts to the nfer style papers she is much quicker as there are less questions to answer in the same amount of time.
panicattack!

mock papers and centres

Post by panicattack! »

I have also found that the CGP papers seem not only to be longer but also harder than the Bond ones so using a mixture of both helps. Has anyone tried the ******** around for 11+ mock tests during the holidays? I would be interested in feedback before maybe booking one.... [It seems so sad that this summer holiday is going to be eaten up with school work!] :cry:

advertising removed by a moderator
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now