Foundation Status-Bourne Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

david55

Foundation Status-Bourne Grammar

Post by david55 »

We recently moved to the area and have a daughter at primary school.We chose Bourne because of the Grammar school's reputation.Some friends have received a letter from the school laying out a case for a change of status. One point raised is relating to the admissions policy which ,it said, will be reviewed.
What possible implications could this have for us?

dave s.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Alex will be along later, and may know more about this specific school, but generally speaking foundation status gives governors the freedom to set their own admission rules (provided they act in accordance with the Admissions Code). They could for example amend how any sibling link operates, alter the method by which distance is measured, re-prioritise or completely change the oversubscription criteria.

Any changes in the oversubscription criteria might advantage or disadvantage you - or make no difference.

Try comparing the current LCC rules with those of some of the foundation grammars, and it will give an idea of the sort of changes that are possible.
http://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/section. ... ocid=63688
Etienne
Alex

Post by Alex »

It is not difficult at all for a school to change to Foundation status.

One thing you may notice if you read the Admission Policies of the Lincolnshire Grammar Schools is that nearly all the Foundation Schools allocate places on score order, either entirely (e.g. King's in Grantham) or with priority being given to those living in a defined area first (e.g. QEGS in Horncastle). Community and Controlled Grammar Schools follow the County Council's Admission Policy which (after Children in Care) gives first priority to siblings and then allocates on driving distance from the school with no account being taken of score once the qualifying mark has been reached.

Where a Grammar school allocates places on score order it is not permitted to have a sibling criterion under the School Admissions Code.

It is possible that were the school to change its admissions policy to allocate on score order the pattern of its admissions could change. It is fairly heavily oversubscribed each year. The lowest score to get a place can vary considerably from school to school and from year to year. To give an illustration, this year's lowest scores to be allocated a place in March were: King's, Grantham - 225; Carre's, Sleaford - out of area - 225; QEGS, Horncastle - out of area - 231 (not definitely verified); Caistor Grammar - out of area - 242 (but uses different tests from the Consortium schools). Score order schools will generally draw from a wider area and the "losers" compared to current policy would be those siblings and local children who did not achieve higher scores; the "winners" children living further away and scoring higher (Stamford, Market Deeping and villages surrounding them would probably be the main centres of population affected).

Schools' Admissions Policies must be published for a consultation period so, if local people are unhappy at any proposed changes they would have the opportunity to voice their objections.
fillup

Post by fillup »

From what I have heard the headteacher is very keen on the idea of a super selective grammar school so no doubt the only reason he wants foundation status is to change admissions policy.
I wonder how long a change takes...my daughter is due to sit 11+ in sep2010. I hope it doesn't happen as I think it is a difficult time already but I am sure he will get what he wants :cry:
Should be a local school for local children!
Alex

Post by Alex »

Admissions policies for September 2011 entry must be published for consultation during January and February 2010 and determined by 15th April 2010, though parents may still object to the Schools Adjudicator after determination. The policies are all published on the Lincolnshire County Council website at:

http://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/section. ... ocid=63690

If changes are proposed and you do not like them you can, nowadays, make your voice heard.
david55

Post by david55 »

Thanks Alex for the information. I guess that the losers in this could be local children who have historically got in on the distance rule.I think this will undoubtedly put the primaries with good track records at 11 plus success under the spotlight, even though the rules say that coaching is not permitted.When we moved here we spent ages choosing the right primary and finished up at one with such a record.I think the whole thing revolves around the schools' belief in the process and the ethos and mindset of the staff involved- this helps nurture the idea in the minds of parents and pupils.
One loser could be one of the two big primaries in Bourne.They were so evasive about the process when we visited we lost interest.I have heard that their pass rate is falling and some people are leaving for that and other different reasons to go to the rival school and others with spaces.I understand that the head and senior leaders are not pro Grammar schools and thats a shame in a town with one.
We are more than happy with our choice and glad we made that decision, especially bearing in mind posible changes to the admissions policy at the grammar school.
Confused!

Post by Confused! »

Alex wrote:Admissions policies for September 2011 entry must be published for consultation during January and February 2010 and determined by 15th April 2010, though parents may still object to the Schools Adjudicator after determination. The policies are all published on the Lincolnshire County Council website at:

http://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/section. ... ocid=63690

If changes are proposed and you do not like them you can, nowadays, make your voice heard.
My son is due to sit the 11+ this September 2009.
Does this mean that, if he passes, the admissions policy is still likely to be the one currently in place? Or could they change it before then?
He has a sibling at the school already so obviously I am hoping the current policy remains! :oops:

Thanks.
Alex

Post by Alex »

You're safe! Everything is published and in place for the coming admissions round.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now