have we done the right thing?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ksb

have we done the right thing?

Post by ksb »

We have an appeal this week for my daughter who was unsuccessful in the entrance exam for a local grammar school. The school will argue that she did not pass so they don't have to offer her a place. Unfortunately she was very anxious and failed miserably! She has shown so much improvement in the last 6 months (we have reports from her school to support this), she is on the gifted and talented register, but was miles off the pass mark.
So as well as her progress to date, we are appealing on pastoral grounds, as we will have 4 kids in 4 schools next year, and with an older sibling with a chronic illness that requires weekly hospital visits, it would be a great relief to our family if my dd could be at the grammar school with her sister. Stress is a contributing factor to my sons illness, unfortunately my husband suffers from the same bowel disease too.
After reading numerous entries, I am beginning to feel that if the school argues non-qualification, then the health issues and ensuing logistical nightmares of arranging child care whenI need to stay at the hospital would not be considered in our appeal!
So sorry for the long winded post, this is very stressful!!
thanks for any replies...ksb
ksb

Post by ksb »

sorry i should add that the grammar school is voluntary aided so the appeal will not be a LA one, but arranged by the governing body (law unto themselves!)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The following is a good example of how an own-admission authority school might arrange its appeals:
Appeals will be in two parts if the child has not qualified, and if the school is full (or might become full if a sufficient number of children are deemed qualified during the appeals). Both parts will be heard at the same time.

First part
1. Admission authority must make its case that the child does not have the required ability (based on the test results).
2. Appeal against non-qualification – this is where you present your alternative evidence of academic ability and mitigating circumstances.

Second part
3. Admission authority must make its case that the school is full and that taking extra pupil(s) would cause prejudice (i.e. harm) or increase the prejudice if the school is already in a prejudiced situation.
4. Parental reasons for needing a place – this is where you present your case about why you want a place at this school for your child.

Parents will need, therefore to submit a case for both parts of the appeal (step 2 & step 4), but bear in mind that any points relating to step 4 will only be considered at the decision-making stage if the child is first deemed to be qualified.
If you've had no "oversubscription/prejudice case" from the school, a possible explanation is that year 7 in September is not full, and that the number of appellants is less than the number of places available.

I think you should ask whoever is organising the appeals:
Is year 7 full for September?
If so, what happens if your appeal against non-qualification were to be successful?
Etienne
ksb

Post by ksb »

thank you, we are off to the appeal this afternoon, I am a nervous wreck! I hope we ar eable to provide enough compelling evidence in our favour!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Good luck KSB.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Good luck wishes from here too! :) Keeping everything crossed for you.

ML
Marylou
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

How did it go KSB?
Bouga
ealingmum

Post by ealingmum »

How on earth did you get 4 chhildren in different schools?

If your child as you say failed badly at the 11+ exam what are your offering the appeal panel to help them come down on your side - if the school is a faith GS if I were on the appeal body I would want to understand just how commited you were to a faith school for your children if I were to consider pastoral grounds
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

ealingmum wrote:How on earth did you get 4 chhildren in different schools?
I can't speak for KSB, but I managed to get 4 children in 4 different schools at the same time without too much difficulty. I have a natural gift for making my life as expensive and difficult as possible though, and not thinking through the consequences of my actions.

By the way, hope all is going as hoped for KSB. I think we are all getting a bit worried not having heard anything.
ksb

Post by ksb »

Sorry all, the appeal went really well, the panel were very supportive and summarised all our points for us. It was almost a pleasureable experience! The worrying was for nothing really. We had support from the primary school in our dd's school report, stating that she has exceeded her targets (unfortunately no support through sats levels...just words).
Anyway we just have to wait until next week. The school does not have that many appeals granted, only last year when there was a mess with the exams, and they needed a resit.
Anyway we did the best we could for our daugther and await the outcome.

thanks so much for the support and I will let you know what the panel decide. It was quite an eye opener though in how the school's admissions policy works!
Cheers
ksbxx