confused about moving to kent now

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rr

confused about moving to kent now

Post by rr »

my kid is going in year 7 this september. We have a choice of moving to kent either in July or in December.

He is preparing for kent test now but he is scoring 85-88% in nfer practice papers. As giving this test is quite late for this year, it is good to prepare more to move in December or just go for entrance test now in July.

Really confused, guide me
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Welcome to the site.

I'm a bit confused by your post as the Kent 11+ is usually taken in Year 6 for entry in Y7. Is your child taking a late test because you are moving? If so you may find that it will be difficult to get a place in the school of your choice without an appeal.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Share Guest 55's confusion. The Kent test for Yr 7 entry for this Sept. was in September last year. The Medway area, which has a different test, is allowing late tests to fill vacant places.
rr

Post by rr »

guest 55, you are right beacaue of my job we have to move to kent and join in August or in December. I know we have to appeal either way for a place of school of choice. but i am confused of giving kent test in July or in December so that my kid gets more time to study.

If he fails his entrance test in July which is such a short period to prepare, his doors for any grammer school will close but if he gives in September he will get more time to study but then entrance process and appeal all will take such a long time that he will miss at least early 2-3 months of school of choice.

i am not able to decide what to do
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi rr

I suspect we are all still a bit confused - must be too much sun this afternoon.

What year is your son in? Is he in year 6 ie going into year 7 in September? (this is what was implied in the first post).
Have you spoken to the LEA ? It sounds as though you may have and have been offered perhaps late testing ie July ?

Maybe they have also offered the option of a test in December to see if they can go on the waiting list for a late year 7 or perhaps year 8 place. In which case they must offer you a place at a school anyway for September - have they done so?

We can try and help with your puzzle if you give us some more info
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

rr
Your son's practice scores are above those needed to pass the Kent 11+. If he can achieve those scores in the time allowed and feels fairly confident then it sounds as if he is ready to sit the test. Despite the impression which you might get from this site, not all children are tutored or prepared for months/years in advance! Basic pass scores are apparently around 50% on each paper. Have you checked that he will be able to sit the test when you move? It may be too late and that he will need to sit the tests set by individual schools for candidates applying for places in other year groups.

Assuming for a moment that you can sit a late test, in your shoes my decision as to dates might depend on the area of Kent to which you will be moving. If you are moving to West Kent you need to be aware that two of the boy's grammar schools have higher entry requirements, and all the grammars in the area are full with waiting lists. It is therefore unlikely that your son would get a place in September. It might actually be easier to get a place later in the year if a boy leaves, especially if your son does very well in the exams.

In the East of the county, I believe that there are vacancies in some grammars (all of which require a bare pass). Since it would surely be better for your son to join the school in September with everyone else, if you are looking for a school with spaces, I would go for an early test if available and try to sort out a place asap.

If you speak to the schools and it becomes clear that you are unlikely to get a place in a grammar this September, is there a chance that you could move into catchment for Cranbrook School (a co-ed grammar that takes children from the age of 13) and perhaps seek a place in the grammar stream run by nearby Angley School for years 7 and 8? Angley have their own internal test to check children are suitable for the accelerated stream (designed for children planning to apply to Cranbrook School for year 9 onwards) but don't require children to sit the 11+.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I would agree with Kent 99, it would be easier on your child to start in September with the class rather than transferrring in 3 months later.

Try ringing the individual schools and explaining that you are coming from an area that doesn;t do 11+. They may have their own entrance tests for non-standard entry and would not need him to sit the Kent test.

Admissions staff at KCC are very helpful too.
rr

Post by rr »

Dear all,

Thanks for your advice. we are moving to canterbury area where admissions to grammar school is tough with waiting list.

I will try to solve your confusion. My kid is in Year 6 now and is going in Year 7 this September. Due to my job i have to keep on moving as per my new job contract i am moving to canterbury area and i have to join in August . As per my odd case, Kent admissions are taking test late for this year's admission therefore it is crucial for him to pass this kent test as per entry into any of the grammar school. I called Canterbury high school also but they have huge waiting list.

I personally thought getting into grammar school is touch and child has to do atleast 4 months preparation with above 95% in each test atleast at home practice papers. Right now he is getting around 89% which makes his chances to get through 50-50.

Kent 99 i really appreciate your detailed explanation and going for other options too. As yoyo suggested i will ring individual school to see if they have vacancies which seems to be really impossible for now.
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

Schools in the Canterbury area require only a bare pass, with no priority given to children with higher scores. Historically, this has meant scoring about 50% on each paper. However, children do seem to score lower in the actual exams than on the practice papers. Basically they are looking for the top 25% of the ability range.

The following information is taken from the Judd school website. Note that that is a West Kent school which unlike the Canterbury schools does require more than a bare pass. Your son will need a "minimum selective score" (which may be a bit lower than 120 on each paper).

[quote]THE KENT TESTS – INFORMATION FOR PARENTS

The maximum score in any of the Kent PESE tests is 140, but this does not equate to 100%.
Historically, the score of 140 equates to approximately 75% on any one test.

A minimum selective score of 120 equates to approximately 50%. The tests are in:

Verbal Reasoning (80 questions)
Non-Verbal Reasoning (72 questions)
Mathematics (50 questions)

Figures are approximate because older children in the year group needed to gain a slightly higher %
than this, whilst younger children could gain a slightly lower %. In addition, there is a variation from
year to year.

There is no guarantee that this pattern (standardisation) will continue or that commercially
produced practice tests match this distribution.

JUDD ENTRY LINE

Scores in the three tests are added together and students are then rank-ordered according to their
scores (with distance from the school determining the ranking for students on the same aggregate
score). 420 is the most common score in Kent and is achieved by approximately 50% of those
offered a place at Judd.

[/quote][/quote]
rr

Post by rr »

I think what i have understood from Kent Admissions people is

out of 420, 360 is minimum marks to get into grammar school with not less than 114 marks in each paper.

As i calculated he has to get at least 85% to get into 360 minimum marks. (I am bit confused now). As he is now 11+ he has to get high percentage to get into choice of school. Isn't it?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now