I'm new and wanted to say hello

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Katherine66

I'm new and wanted to say hello

Post by Katherine66 »

Hello

I have been lurking on this site for ages and have found it incredibly informative, not least amusing! Have now decided to take the plunge and swell the ranks of the Warwickshire gang - particularly those from South Warwickshire.

We have been through the whole gamult (?) of 11+ issues - in a nutshell, DD took exam (everyone expected her to pass comfortably), missed the 329 pass mark by 8 but due to the fact that there not enough girls achieving this automatic standard, the Committee of Reference then offered 22 places down to score of 322 - we were 321! We appealed and WERE SUCCESSFUL! Can't say how delighted we all are that DD is off to Grammar School in September - perhaps I will meet Magwich there?

Looking forward to many a lively debate. If anyone would like the gory details of our 11+ journey then ask away.

Katherine66
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

Hi and welcome :D

Sounds like you had quite a journey but I bet you're pleased you can now relax :wink:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Welcome to the forum! It's good to swell the numbers Katherine66. It sounds like it must have been a stressful time for you for a while. What great news though!
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

Hi Katherine66,
Congratulations on your daughter getting her school of choice. I am sure she will enjoy it. And I hope you do get to meet the legend that is Magwich!
I would like to ask a question, since you offer: please can you tell us what raw scores were required to get a standardised score of 321?
Katherine66

Reply to Bad Dad - DD's Standardised Scores

Post by Katherine66 »

Hi Bad Dad

DD's standardised scores were as follows:

VR 110
Numeric 101
NVR 110

January birthday.

Very happy to help with any other info - ask away.
Scurr1780

congratulations

Post by Scurr1780 »

Many congratulations on a successful appeal!

I would be interested in hearing your views of the appeal process and the role of the Committee of Reference ie did you have to show that the Committee of Reference had not acted fairly in reviewing your daughter's case before the Appeal Panel would consider academic evidence? Do you know how may successful appeals there were this year?

Regards

R Scurr
Katherine66

Post by Katherine66 »

Dear Scurr1780

I am running around like a headless chicken trying to get kids etc ready for a weekend away. I'll come back to you on Monday and try and answer your question in a constructive way.

Hang on tight!

Katherine66
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Great news and welcome to the forum :D
Katherine66

Appeal

Post by Katherine66 »

Dear Scurr1780

Firstly, I rang the Legal Services team at Warwick and was told by somebody there that they thought that about 7 were successful in their appeals for Shottery. There were 27 appellants.

We found the appeal process to be straightforward and the panel courteous and professional. We came from the angle that we had a child that EVERYBODY expected to pass and who messed up on the day. We also had some extenuating circumstances but whilst mentioning these we didn't stress their relevance too much.

No, we did not have to show that the Committee of Reference had not acted fairly. We had extremely strong support from the Head of our current primary school who in her Report to the Committee of Reference had ranked DD 1/25 in the year group and gave predicted 5as for all her SATs. We also provided evidence showing consistent high achievement throughout school and fortunately the panel took the view that she is of grammar school ability based on the evidence. In fact, we were surprised how few questions were asked of us.

Hope this is of some help. Please do let me know if I tell you anymore.

Katherine66
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

Hi again Katherine66,
Can you remember what place out of 957 were you?
Also, what was your opinion on the test? Did you think the test was in any way at fault in not identifying a child who had the right abilities, or do you just think your daughter had a really bad day?