Recommend independent with good support for dyslexia?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Delilah

Recommend independent with good support for dyslexia?

Post by Delilah »

Does anyone have any ideas which indies in south bucks/herts/ area have a strong SEN dept...esp dyslexia?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Haileybury has a particularly good SEN department but it is quite pricy. What age are you looking for?
zee

Post by zee »

Edgerton Rothesay in Berkhamsted used to be VG for such things and probably still is. BUT, if your child is very bright, coupled with dyslexia/SEN, it might not be suitable; in that case, somewhere like Haileybury might be better.

Shiplake College near Reading is also v good, but maybe too far unless you'd consider boarding.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Aldenham School in Elstree is very good for dyslexia.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Aldenham is good for dyslexia but is not known for it which is a positive IMO because often schools can attract a very high percentage of SEN and that does not make the school balanced, whereas Aldenham is.
zorro

Post by zorro »

My DS has 2 friends with dyslexia who are above average academically and they get a lot of support, extra time in exams etc. Their parents are very pleased with the help they get at Aldenham.
Kesi68

Post by Kesi68 »

My daughter has moderate dyslexia and gets help at her prep school. Does anyone know if Royal Masonic is good for dyslexia?
JP

Post by JP »

I don't know if the Royal Masonic is good for dyslexia but I do know that a fair few of the girls from my daughter's school are going there of which I know at least 2 are dyslexic. I would imagine the parents would have done their research before deciding to send their children there especially as one of the parents is involved in education herself.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now