11plus Maths

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Villagedad

11plus Maths

Post by Villagedad »

Hi
Although it is some way off our DS taking the 11plus maths exam, I am curious to the balance and make-up of the test.

For example, if you were to list the skills you would need to master for the exam what would it cover e.g.:

The 4 main operations: addition, subtraction, division, multiplication / timestable
Shapes
Fractions, decimals, percentages
Algebra & equations
Square roots, graphs

Would also be good to know the percentages that make up the test between each set of skills, e.g. 30% of what you need to learn is the 4 main operations (+ - / x).

Many thanks for your time with this
Villagedad
Mike

Post by Mike »

deleted post
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Mike wrote:The Tutors have organised the topics into 18 categories with sub-categories, these can be seen on the Interactive CDs page for The Tutors Mathematics CD1,
Hi Mike
I've had a look but can't seem to find the list of "18 categories with sub-categories"..? ie what are these categories and sub-categories...

Regards
Villagedad
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Villagedad

The moderators have received the following information from the website/forum owner.

Answering the customers query, there are 27 areas of mathematics that an 11 year old has to cover thoroughly, that can be seen on the link http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/revisi ... _maths.php

1. The 4 rules (add, subtract, multiply and divide)
2. Fractions
3. Decimals
4. Money
5. Metric system
6. Time
7. Prime numbers
8. Prime factors
9. Highest common factor and lowest common multiple
10. Perimeter and Area ( Squares, Rectangles, Compound Shapes)
11. Averages
12. Distance, Speed and Time
13. Column graphs
14. Pie charts
15. Algebra
16. Angle calculations
17. Co-ordinates
18. Reflection and Rotation
19. Percentages
20. Simple ratio
21. Volume of cube and cuboids
22. Bearings
23. Simple probability
24. Nets of shapes
25. Sequences and number patterns
26. Marking and interpreting scales
27. Following rules and instructions in more unusual problem solving and investigational activities

In terms of exam practice material it’s much of a muchness, almost all the material available in the website (bookshop, e-papers, CDs) is pitched at the correct level. There are no regional variations.

The enquirer needs to identify areas of weakness in the above syllabus, if any. If the problems are widespread then they ought to invest in one of two book ranges:

Accelerated Education Books 1 -6 in Maths (RRP £5.99) http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... 4&p=11&a=0
These books are child friendly but contain fewer questions than...

Peter Robson Maths For Practice & Revision Books 1-5 (RRP £ 2.99)
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... 4&p=10&a=0
These are old fashioned books, sized ½ of A4, left hand page contains four worked examples and the right hand page contains approximately 50 to 100 questions on the same with increasing difficulty. In practice pick 10 at random, some from easy some from hard and if problem persists pick more. Once mastered turn the page to the next set of Examples and Questions. This is a very thorough set of books, for instance it does not just do fractions per se, it breaks it down to 100 questions of adding fractions, 100 questions of subtracting fractions, 100 questions of dividing fractions and 100 questions of multiplying fractions.

The latter is purchased by major prep school clients of this website.

Patricia
naxa

Post by naxa »

Hi Patricia - the Peter Robson "prep school" books you mention are very interesting.
I don't think my son and I have time to work through all the levels 1-5 so was wondering which book you would suggest starting with for a child who has covered most of the topics but is not a great mathematician and so needs plenty of revision and practice?
THanks!
fitnessfanatic

Post by fitnessfanatic »

I am considering getting some of these as well. My son is struggling with the Maths as some of the content we are seeing in the practise papers he has not covered in depth at school yet - apparently it is year 6 maths, which is fine until you factor in the Kent test is in September right after he enters year 6 :roll:

Neither I or my husband are great at maths so it is not easy to help him with this! :lol:
polly0494

11+ Maths

Post by polly0494 »

I am also keen to find suitable tests / revision for my dd who is year 5 and will take the Medway test in October.

I want some quick revision material that I can fit into a 10 min slot.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Polly
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

the Bond 10 minute tests?
MedwayMumof1

11+ Maths

Post by MedwayMumof1 »

My d also struggles with Maths and unless I am beside her to guide her in the right direction, she seems to crumble.
Recently, I have introduced Bond 10 min tests and she is scoring 6 or 7 out of ten. How similar are the Bond questions to the real thing? On reading other posts on this site, I am worried that the Medway Maths test will be harder than her prep has allowed for.

Advice would be appreciated as I am a novice to all this!
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

yoyo123 wrote:the Bond 10 minute tests?
And IPS Daily tests
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now