year 6 boredom

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
3boysmum

year 6 boredom

Post by 3boysmum »

DS1, year 5, has just been told that he has achieved level 5 in all of his QCA's. I am not yet sure of the breakdown of the levels but I would be surprised if he is not 5a in maths and 5b in the rest. The concern that DH and I both have is that next year he will become bored as the teacher focuses on getting the other children to higher levels. I know that there are 4 other children who have achieved level 5 in at least 1 subject each.

I am having a meeting with his teacher this week to discuss his results and I am sure I will get the usual reassurance that he will be stretched next year etc.. He is on the G&T register for maths but that does not really equate to anything other than the school being able to say that they have X number on the G&T register. He does have SpLD and dyslexia but as he is high ability the only support he receives is the TA helping him to learn to touch type.

What have other parents/schools done to prevent their bright children from becoming bored in year 6? he has already complained of boredom in maths this year.

Does anybody know what resources the school should have access to to encourage children at this level? I would like to be more informed when I see his teacher and not be fobbed off . DS2 is year 3 in a composite class with year 2, despite scoring level 3 on his KS1 SATS, purely because his birthday is in May and April was the cutoff used for the decision making process. The head reassured all parents involved but we have basically written this year off for the children involved. However, mixed KS1 and KS2 classes is another discussion, my point is that the school is good at reassurances and saying what needs to be said but doesn't necessarily deliver.

As he is taking the 11+ in November DH and I have been discussing the prospect of home schooling him for his final year. We would be able to teach him at his interest and ability level. As DH works from home he would be able to alter his workday to accommodate this and would work with DS on particular projects. DS is very keen on engineering.
I know this is quite a radical suggestion and not a decision that we will take lightly.

I would like to know what other families have done in this situation, I know DS is not unusual in this but do we really have to put up with children being bored and not challenged because primary schools are encouraged to concentrate on special needs at the lower end and not the top end?
T-4-2

Post by T-4-2 »

Hi 3boysmum. As I have just mentioned on another thread, at the end of year 5 my DC got all level 5s (as Guest55 will tell you it is not possible to give specific sub-levels within that, level 5 is all you'll get), and now, at the end of year 6 has been given a year 7 maths paper and achieved a level 6a. My DCs primary school set the children for maths and english, and consequently they have managed to keep all the children in the top maths and english sets focused and prevent boredom setting in by giving them work specifically for their ability. There have been times, I'll admit, when my DC has been bored, but I would say that it is up to the school to prevent this happening.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

3boysmum. My Y5 son's teacher told me earlier this year that he was trying to make year 5 as enjoyable as possible because, "they'll have any enjoyment for education beaten out of them next year with the relentless practice for SATS". I have two older boys (one of whom was also level 5 in everything in year 5) and I can vouch that this is true. Throwing the odd level 6 maths paper their way won't alter this (and yes, my sons' primary sets for maths too). Interestingly though, the DS who was level 5 in everything in Yr 5 passed the 11+ but by not nearly as much as the DS who wasn't level 5 in anything in year 5 (who passed by loads).

Personally, with my 3rd DS nearing the end of year 5, I'm completely worn down by the way SATS dominate the end of KS2. I wouldn't home school though because I think the social element of school is too important; plus they get to be prefects in year 6 and take responsibility for things. But, education-wise, year 6 is a complete waste of space.
3boysmum

Post by 3boysmum »

Thanks, one of the reasons for considering home education is that DS has never had a good time at school socially. Because of his dyslexia/dyspraxia he has some overlap with the social difficulties of Autism. At his school they don't have prefects and the only things that he would really miss out on are the school residential trip and the school play where year 6 take the leading roles, but he would probably want to be backstage anyway.

We are still considering the options but it is such a shame that year 6 is taken up with SATS . I personally don't agree with them and so I'm not wanting him to be pushed to achieve level 6 by teachers assessment but I don't think that it is right for some children to be left to coast for a year. He has such a keen interest in learning all things and I fear that interest will be dampened next year if he is not challenged.
moved

Post by moved »

DC were both level 5 in yr 5. No setting or G&T in their school. Boredom was alleviated by music, sport and drama.
Regarding extra: fun maths problems created by QCA are available to schools/parents
http://publications.teachernet.gov.uk/e ... IG1713.pdf
Regarding levels teacher assessment can show/assess for level 6. These optional tasks are available, although not widely used and can only give a higher level along side teacher assessment.
http://testsandexams.qca.org.uk/19213.aspx
Ignoring the levels they are fun and provide challenge, should the teacher know that they are available. My DDs English teacher said it was a shame that the maximum he could give her was a 5, but that there was nothing available for higher levels.
andyb

Post by andyb »

Year 6 is boring :? From September to October the focus is 11+(in the childrens' minds), then they are on tenterhooks until the results in November, then it's Christmas. January is low key, February is "Project" month, followed in March by practice for the Y6 production which is performed in April and SATS done in May. DS did nothing new from Feb half term to SATS week in May, just going over SATS papers - and he was bored out of his skull! The highlight of his school week was his extension Maths class on a Friday lunchtime. They are now looking forward to activity week and then it will be complete wind down to the end of term - what a waste :cry:
Milla

Post by Milla »

my boy is in Y7 and found it hit him in the face like an enormous old wet fish. Maybe the jump isn't so marked if coming from an indie but from a state school it's one *ell of a leap and I don't know why schools don't do more to prepare them. On the other hand ...

Our school did "fun" but differently educational stuff following SATS which I thought was just the ticket. They put on a production of Midsummer's Night Dream, loads of line learning (my boy was Bottom, just fab). Children not on stage did set design, lighting, programme making etc so all were involved in an area which suited them. There was a residential trip, the big goodbye. There were extended art projects. They got involved in playground things - helping teach the little ones PE. There was a big wildlife quiz.

Suddenly they were free of the ghastly trammels of the curriculum. Education is not all maths and english.
vetgal

Post by vetgal »

Hi Milla,

I have just about finished in year 6 and I can't wait to leave to be honest.
The teachers told me I am one of the brightest students they have but all Year 6 seems to be about is SATs and once they are over, well we have had 1 proper lesson in 3 weeks and thats it so I don't really need to say anymore.
I have learnt that Year 6 is quite pointless and you hardly learn, you just revise so just bare with your daugther. :lol:

Good Luck :wink:
Emma
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

My DC had a completely different experience - Y5 got all level 5s but in Y6 did Primary Maths challenge (http://www.m-a.org.uk/education/primary ... _challenge) and lots of NRICH problems (www.nrich.maths.org). There is also a book of problems for able children which is good (http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcs ... node/64356)

They were set so a group of level 5s worked together - not on accelration but enrichment and problem solving -

The tests were a very small part of Y6 - they did 3 papers but used them to highlight areas of weakness/gaps.
3boysmum

Post by 3boysmum »

Guest 55,

Thanks for the links. Those are the sort of programmes and activities that I was hoping the school has access to. I have spoken with DS's class teacher and have had all the usual reassurances but now I know what is available to the school I will speak to his teacher next term and check. I know that DS will be comfortable taking the nrich details into school and asking if he can do some of the activities with the other very able children.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now