Parmiters Appeal won on social exclusion grounds???

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Genesis

Parmiters Appeal won on social exclusion grounds???

Post by Genesis »

One of the children at our school that originally got allocated Bushey Hall, has won an appeal to Parmiters on the grounds of social exclusion.
Can anyone enlighten me as to what this is when it's at home???? :wink:

Doesn't make any difference to us as Parmiters wasn't one of our chosen schools, but i bet a whole load of people on the CI list for that school would be very interested! Especially the ones near the top of the list!

I don't know the family personally as the child is in the other class, all i know is they ranked it 3rd :shock:

I'd love to know as i naively thought to win an appeal you had to have cast iron grounds on distance, maladministration, other evidence etc :wink:
watmum

Post by watmum »

sounds very strange Genesis, Have never heard of "social exclusion" either? Could it just be one of those playground rumours? Mind you, I did read, on this forum I believe, that there have been 3 successful appeals for Parmiter's this year! unheard of usually!

No doubt, someone will enlighten us!
WP

Post by WP »

I have a letter from Parmiter's in which they say there have been 3 successful appeals this year. Regarding "social exclusion", I've found this in the arrangements of a Bucks primary:
Little Missenden School follows Buckinghamshire County Council's policy on Fair Access and the admission of vulnerable children, by which we mean children at risk of social exclusion by being out of school. These include looked-after children, permanently excluded children and those children who have moved into the area after the normal admission round, or who need to move school as a result of severe bullying or social issues. Children who meet these criteria will offered a place as soon as possible, even if the school is full, or if appropriate, they will be given top priority on the waiting list.
[edit: scratch this, Etienne has pointed out it's wrong.] I imagine the Herts Fair Access Protocol is similar, but I can't find it (though lots of schools refer to it). According to the School Admission Appeals Code (paragraph 3.3), such children should be admitted by a panel at the first stage, with no consideration of the capacity of the school.

It would be best not to discuss the individual child or family here.
Genesis

Post by Genesis »

Would never discuss the individual child or family here, and i worded my post carefully to avoid that, just gave the minimum facts.
Thanks for the info and the reminder. :)
WP

Post by WP »

Genesis wrote:Would never discuss the individual child or family here, and i worded my post carefully to avoid that, just gave the minimum facts.
I don't doubt that. I was just being super-cautious.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I would want the term "social exclusion" to be clarified by the LEA.

Theoretically, a parent threatening to withdraw a child from the education system could constitute social exclusion. :?
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

Hi,

I think this was one of the factors that they appealed on as they had no school as had refused Bushey hall. I would imagine that they had many other reasons as well.
They appealed for primary school and were succesful with that so clearly have a good grasp of how the system works in Herts.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

An appeal panel doesn't admit children under the Fair Access Protocol - that isn't really what para. 3.3 of the Code is saying. ["Panels must not treat the admission of children under the Fair Access Protocol as an indication that a further child could be admitted to the school without causing prejudice. As with children admitted on appeal, children admitted through a Fair Access Protocol are admitted over and above the admission number as a result of their exceptional circumstances. The panel must, therefore, take into account the school’s obligation to admit such children throughout the year when deciding whether to allow any appeals."]

However, an appeal panel can certainly uphold an appeal on social, medical or educational grounds if it sees fit. The test is whether it thinks these grounds are sufficiently compelling to outweigh the prejudice to the school.
Etienne
rivermoon

Post by rivermoon »

Hi re appeal to Parmiters.

This year three parents have won their appeals to Parmiters.

Although I'm glad for them , especially if Bushey Hall was the alternative

it has a huge impact on the CI list from a parent whose DS is first on the list!!!!
Genesis

Post by Genesis »

WP wrote:
Genesis wrote:Would never discuss the individual child or family here, and i worded my post carefully to avoid that, just gave the minimum facts.
I don't doubt that. I was just being super-cautious.
Absolutely, and rightly so of course :)

Thanks for all the info guys.
Anyone that takes on the appeals system and wins, good luck to them i say ............. not jealous at all :wink:
(Says the mum who's child is going to Bushey Hall come September :roll: :wink: )
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now