Sats Book recommendations

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
newbie but stressed

Sats Book recommendations

Post by newbie but stressed »

Hi,

Can anyone recommend any good books, for extra self tutoring of Sats Key stage 2 year 6 ? For Eng, Science, Maths ?

My daughter just took eleven plus (no results yet) and I would like to keep in the groove of tutoring her. Especially as its the last year before starting a new school.

I've seen a couple but would hope for some recommendations or pointers as to what Is good and what is not so good.

Many thanks

NBS

Post by Guest »

Hello,
My daughter's independent school have be following the CGP books since she was in year 3.So I brought these for pratice,but I'm sure that other people may find other papers which are just as good or even better.
Melx

Post by Melx »

Hi there

I did get some last year reccomended by Mike Edwards, they were actually past papers so were an excellent way for my son to practise. If Mike is on maybe he will come back with the site but I will look tonight at home and will also get back to you.

Mel
Greenrj

KS2 SATS Revision Books

Post by Greenrj »

Having seen the CGP revision books recommended here before, I've had a look on their website and, as usual, there are dozens of different books to choose from! Can anyone recommend any from the range which would be good for a general revision purposes for each of the three subjects.

Grateful for any other recommendations.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The workbooks are good and, if you can buy via school, extremely cheap.

Otherwise the bbc site is fun and not too difficult:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/revisewise/

Basic tips such as 'look at the number of marks' on the reading paper also help - e.g. two marks means write two different ideas

You don't need to do masses of past papers - two should be OK if you point out what they can do then find their 'gaps' or general help like using the time sensibly.
katel

Post by katel »

But do remember that if your daughter's school is anything like ours, they will be doing loads of SATS practice. In my opinion if your daughter has been working hard for 11+ she really won't need to do anything else for SATS. Let her have fun - she'll be doing tons of homework from secondary school soon enough! Just my opinion - anyone agree?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That may be true where they have sat Maths & English papers - but not everywhere does this.

When I said two practice papers I didn;t mean in addition to school - two should be enough in total. Then give extra help in areas these identify as 'gaps' or weaknesses.
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

I really have to agree with Katel.

Besides I would imagine that most kids who have taken the 11 plus will be comfortable level 5's by now.

Yes they are doing SAT's to death at school right now, so just get hold of a copy of their mock SAT's paper, see where they lost points and discuss or brush up on these areas only.

However, if your child is not acheiving level 5's ask their teacher where their weak areas are and the teacher may even give you work you can do at home with your child.

Just my thoughts.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

11+ score over 121 does not equate to level 5s - only about two thirds of Grammar School pupils in Bucks have 3 level 5s - the VR test does not really test Maths.

I taught a number of pupils with level 4s and a few with level 3s ...!!
patsy

Post by patsy »

Hi Guest 55

Do you happen to know what the thresholds are for year 6 sats as I have some results of mocks that my daughter has taken.

Also do you happen to know if we can find out their specific scores?

I also have a a child who was given a 5b in year 5 for Maths.Was told she couldn't achieve a 6 as they didn't teach the full curriculum. She went on to Grammar School and has been given extension work to do at times.

She has achieved 96% and 95% in her year 7 and year 8 exams respectively.I would be interested to know if she is on the G and T register as the school has a policy of not identifying the students.I am interested in her joining Nagty as they have some interesting courses such as forensic science which I think she would be interested in.

Am I able to find out under the FOI act?

Thanks Patsy :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now