Moving to Secondary worries

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
vetgal

Moving to Secondary worries

Post by vetgal »

Hello everyone!!!

Well, I am in Year 6 so unfortunatly I shall have to move to secondary school soon :(

Although I am looking forward to moving I am very upset I wont be going to my Primary school any more. I have been crying quite a lot about the thought of never seeing some of my friends again and just really the reality of getting old :lol:

I probally sound really daft but I find it hard to explain why I am upset.

Do any of you have some stories or anything that may help me during the change of schools. Anything posted will be greatly appreciated.

Emma
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I'm sure it is such a terrible wrench to move away from primary, my son feels the same.
But things will be great when you move to your new school and you can still keep in touch with all your old friends, even if you can't meet them there's msn and web cams 8)
And hey don't worry about getting old, you've away to go to catch up with me :lol:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

My son went through this last year and knew no one. He settled very quickly and I am sure that you will experience that too.

You'll shed plenty of tears until you leave your primary, but then you will enjoy the holidays and look forward to a new chapter in the adventure of your life. Enjoy it all - even the sad bits!

Me and my fellow teachers at my primary cry every year at the leaver's assembly, the whole experience of change is upsetting to most people - even adults. When we see the children after the summer holidays, getting off the bus from their new schools, they seem to have plenty of new friends.

Try not to worry Emma x
vetgal

Post by vetgal »

:lol: thanks "Looking for help"
Emma
vetgal

Post by vetgal »

and Ed's mum :D
Emma
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I hope that helps to alleviate your fears a bit Emma.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hello Emma,
I have a daughter moving to secondary this year who is the only one in her class going to that school.Luckily she has seen her sister go through the same thing a couple of years before.
Her sister would say .. don't be scared everyone is sooooo friendly because everyone is new. :) She still has the friends from Primary that she wanted to keep.We organise sleepovers and I think, in a way ,she has a better time with them because they are not in the same school.They have more to talk about and aren't involved in the arguments that go on in her old friends' school
As regards growing up... well there are fun bits too.You will get more freedom.Perhaps you will get to go out with your friends from time to time without adults too much involved.
Secondary school is so much more stimulating/ exciting too.if you are anything like my DD , although she will miss her friends but she has outgrown Primary school.She finds the lessons a bit of a drag now and needs to learn something new.She is looking forward to all the clubs and doing " real science".Within a couple of weeks you really will feel at home.
It's going to be just great :) :)
Let us know how you get on.
vetgal

Post by vetgal »

Chelmsford mum wrote:if you are anything like my DD , although she will miss her friends but she has outgrown Primary school.She finds the lessons a bit of a drag now and needs to learn something new.She is looking forward to all the clubs and doing " real science".Within a couple of weeks you really will feel at home.
It's going to be just great :) :)
Let us know how you get on.
Hi lol that sounds exactly like me! :lol:

Thanks for the advice!!!
Emma
Lady.in.blue

Post by Lady.in.blue »

Hello vetgal!

Well my daugther is starting secondary school this year and she feels the same way as you do.

I understand your point of view but I must say out of all the school years I have ever had Year 7 was the best. I find that secondary school is better then primary for 5 reasons:

1. You make better friends
2. Learning is much more interesting
3. You are given more "space'' to do your own thing
4. You have other years to look up to again :lol:
5. You get to now alot more people
Hope this helps and anyway when you go up to secondary school your goign to be the youngest anyway!!! :lol: :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now