End of Year pressies

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
zorro

End of Year pressies

Post by zorro »

What's the protocol for giving pressies to housemistresses/tutors at the end of the academic year? At primary school we always gave the class teacher a pressie and a thank you card.
Suggestions please!
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

I wouldn't give presents to form teachers or any other teachers at secondary school. If DCs at boarding school then a bottle of something nice for Housemaster or Housemistress, and also for House Tutor if that post exists, but most importantly something really lovely and maybe a note of appreciation for Matron, who is probably not particularly well paid. She will probably have done all sorts of things for DC which have made their life nicer. (No, I am not a matron in a boarding house in case you are wondering - it would be my job from h*ll :lol: )
zorro

Post by zorro »

DS is not a boarder so I will leave pressies until Christmas I think.I will just send a card to show our appreciation of their help in the first term in secondary school.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

We have (just) decided to NOT send in presents tomorrow. I am going to send some thank you emails instead!
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

Ed's mum you will be proud of us.....My DD has suggested we give her teachers and assistants nice bunches of flowers picked from the garden - sweet peas and roses! (they may get cucumbers also!!! :lol: :lol: ) with handmade cards. DS on the other hand has refused to go to school with bunch of flowers so we are thinking up something else - any suggestions welcome.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I'm off the JL (hopefully lots of sale items) to look for some gifts but I am only giving to Matron as she probably gets overlooked and is the lynchpin of the school.
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

Actually - any teachers out there?? Could you let us know what sort of presents you really like to receive and which ones you hate?? Also any very odd ones? One teacher told me she got a half used bottle of bubble bath once! :roll:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

You are kidding! :shock:
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

No! Teacher graciously accepted it!!! :lol: :lol: (and probably put it into school fete bottle tombola!! :lol: :lol: )
tense

Post by tense »

I have some teacher friends who advise me that bottles of wine are always appreciated! You can pass them on as gifts / take to parties and (my favourite!) drink them yourself.

Whilst flowers / plants are lovely, lots of private school teachers whizz straight off on their holidays before the state schools break up.

Worst gifts are apparently things with "best teacher" on - mugs / keyrings / photo frames etc - although I think half a bottle of bubble bath would be much worse!