King Edwards Handsworth School Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

berry1998

King Edwards Handsworth School Appeal

Post by berry1998 »

My daughter just missed out by 4 marks to get into KE handsworth.

We have some mitigating circumstances as to why she did not do so well at the test - I was seriously ill during the exams. She is bright and is expected to get level 5 in her sats this year.

The problem I have is how do we fight the schools arguement that there are 20 girls ahead of her in the waiting list and that the school is full. They even quoted that they do not have the toilet facilities to cope with any more children.

How can I agrue my case when the school states there are no extra desks, ICT stations & science desks !!!!!!!

PLEASE is there anyone who can help
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

You don't have to "fight" the school case. You can ignore it. What you do is present your own case, and it's then up to the panel to balance the two cases.

(I'm not saying that it will be easy to win an appeal if the school has a strong case. I understand not many KE appeals are successful.)

Read the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php
Section B discusses mitigating circumstances.
Section C discusses appealing for an oversubscribed school.

Come back to us if anything isn't clear.
Etienne
berry1998

Post by berry1998 »

Thanks for the response.

The case against us is
1. prejudice the provision of efficient education use of resources
2. contravene the school's admission policy
3. incompatible with the selection process for the grammar school or where another place has been offered.

What should I be trying to build my case around

I'm also confused as I read terms like PAN & Net Capacity what do they mean ?

What other background information should I gather?

I did phone the school and ask what the size of yr7 was and she said 130 where as the school documents 128 is this significant?

Help I seem to be lost in a mount of information. I'm unsure what to concentrate on HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

PAN = pupil admission number ie the number of pupils they take in each year. Mostly it is 30 times the number of classes

Net capacity = number of pupils the school can accommodate - this is based on an agreed formula
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Abbreviations like PAN (published admission number) are here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... wers.php#f

Net capacity is discussed here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#c13
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#c14

- but you're still worrying about the school case!

The sort of reasons parents put forward at an oversubscription appeal can be found here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... ers.php#c2

If places were allocated according to score, and you also wish to argue that your daughter was expected to score even more highly than she did, then much of Section B discusses academic evidence and mitigating circumstances.

I know it all seems overwhelming at first, but I'm afraid there's no "quick fix" - you need to take a deep breath and read, read, read! :)
Etienne
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

[quote="berry1998"]
I did phone the school and ask what the size of yr7 was and she said 130 where as the school documents 128 is this significant?
quote]

If the PAN is 128, but they have 130 in the current Year 7, it probably means they were forced to accept two pupils on appeal last year, thus putting them 2 over their admission number.
fm

Post by fm »

Many children get level 5 Sats in Birmingham who do not attain grammar school, there being so few places and so many applicants.

There are few successful appellants for the King Edward's but there are some. My daughter has one extra in her class at Camp Hill and that is because one of her classmates got in on appeal (I'm afraid I don't know the grounds).

I think I would try to get as much evidence of high ability as I could--not just Sats levels which I am not sure do impress--but also mount a case very much on the extenuating circumstances. I think you have to convince them that your child would have made the score and then some, but for your illness. Basically you have to convince them that she is a natural candidate for a King Edward school.

I am not sure you should get embroiled in arguments whether the school is big enough or not but concentrate your efforts on which Handsworth would be right for your child.

Good luck.
berry1998

Appeal result for KES Handsworth

Post by berry1998 »

We have just got the news that our appeal was successful and our DD starts in September. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you to everyone for their advice
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's fantastic news - well done!! :D :D :D