11+ questions and hello!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ramble

11+ questions and hello!

Post by Ramble »

Hi,
We are seriously considering a move 'over the water' to West Kirby. Our son is 9, so in Y4 at the moment, he would be in Y5 by the time we get there.
I, despite being a primary school teacher, have absolutely no idea about the 11+ so this site has been a real god send! I don't really know what the academic standard is for those who pass though. My son had a terrible time in infants (long story) but has now caught up and is where I feel he should be, though I think with guidance he could so better (but perhaps that's my mum specs!)So...he will readily be a level 4 at the end of KS2...his Literacy is now around a 3A (end of Y4) so he may hit level 5 in that, but certainly not in his maths. Is he therefore 11+ standard, as his maths is not so strong?? I assume places are based entirely upon the test results?

Sorry for the questions, as I say this is all new to me and I would be exceptionally grateful for any honest replies and help!
Thank you!
Ramble

Post by Ramble »

Anyone help please??? :D
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Ramble

Wirral set 2 Verbal Reasoning Papers, 80 questions in 50 minutes. An aggregate score is standardised to take account of age.

A child attending a primary school in Wirral will be offered a place if they attain the qualification score.

Verbal reasoning consists of 21 different question types, roughly 50% vocabulary, 25% mathematics and 25% codes, most questions can be worked out by applying reasoning, but a good vocabulary is also required.

The tests are normally sat in November of year 6, therefore children would have only completed two and a half - three months of the academic year, so their vocabulary skills and mathematics skill may not be upto test standard.

The content of the tests is not really transferable into the National Curriculum levels because Verbal Reasoning is not part of the curriculum. It is often the case that children with lower NC levels achieve places at tthe grammar schools and some with high NC levels do not.

Hope this helps as an intro.

Keep posting

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
Ramble

Post by Ramble »

Thanks so much Mike that is really helpful and interesting.
My son has an excellent vocabulary so that is encouraging.
Is there anything i can do now with him to see how he would go...or anything I should be doing now to start to prepare him do you think (if we move?)
Thanks so much.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi Ramble,

You could have a look at the VR papers to see the standard required.

Generally reading, times tables, puzzles, reading and a bit more reading. I also considered playing DC audio classics whilst he slept but decided I was becoming hysterical. :oops:

Some free resources here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/revisi ... wnload.php

The free practice papers are located on the left.

I hope someone from Wirral turns up soon :shock:
Ramble

Post by Ramble »

That made me smile!
Thanks so much I shall have a look at the resources, really helpful. He reads and is still read to a lot...his tables knowledge is great too so that is reassuring. Sounds like the tests are on the more fundamentals???
Sounding good to be honest. Great link too..I'll have a good look at that.
Many thanks.
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hi Ramble
Where are you hoping for DS to go ?Where are you thinking of moving to?

My DS has nearly finished year 7 at Calday and is very happy -
We used the interactive cd's on this site for practice and also the papers available from this site - make sure you ONLY practice the 21 types of questions as others have said.

You could have a go at the practice interactive cd's on here -though it may be a bit early!

Both my DC passed the 11+ using papers without a tutor -we started practising in the Feb of year 5 for the Nov exams in year 6-my DD struggled a bit more as she was a July Bday ( now yr 10 at West Kirby )
DS found it all quite easy he is Nov b'day and very good at maths !

Any further questions feel free to ask -PM me if you want
Hope that helps Pensby :)
Ramble

Post by Ramble »

Thanks so much for your reply Pensby, apologies for the delay in me replying, we are having one of 'those' weeks here.

I think we would be looking at Calday as it is very close to the house that we have rather stupidly fallen in love with (since we have yet to sell ours...) having said that I believe the comprehensives in the area are alll good too? I want DS to go where he will feel the most comfortable, he does need to be pushed and he is able...but will coast if he can (don't we all!!!!)
I shall PM you as well I think. Thanks so much, this is really helpful.
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hi Ramble
Have sent you a PM- the comprehensives in Wirral are pretty good-in West Kirby your son would go to Hilbre High school which is a modern co-ed school -If your Ds passes the 11+ he will get a place at Calday which i would of course recommend !!
Pensby :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now