11+ for Slough

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mel

11+ for Slough

Post by Mel »

Hi there

Please please help and anyone tell me what type of Maths questions are in the 11+ test carried out for Slough. We have been practising using NFER papers and these contain some maths my son has not even covered at school yet. If we are to try to get him up to speed it woudl be good to know what types we should concentrate on more.

Also does anyone know what kind of score a child would need to pass this test as there are three tests in it and they all different

I would really appreciate any tips

thanks
catherine

Post by catherine »

Hi Mel,

I was wondering the same thing. My son has been practising the NFER papers, but I don't know the level of the actual exam.

Post by Guest »

I don't know about Slough but when my son took 11+ tests last year there were quite few things he hadn't covered in school at that stage. All these schools say their tests are based on KS2 curriculum - not the one covered at my son's state primary school!
catherine

Post by catherine »

I have been told that you need 80% with the NFER papers to pass, 85% if you want to make sure.
Mel

Slough 11+

Post by Mel »

Hello to anyone who is interested I have just spoken to someone from a Grammar school in SLough who told me that a child needs approx 65-66% to pass the 11+.
catherine

Post by catherine »

Hi Mel,

I am very interested. The consensus amongst parents is that the pass mark in Slough is around 80%. It's great if it is lower.
mel

FAO Cathy

Post by mel »

My sentimients entirely. the deputy head at our school who is very knowlegeable did tell us parents it is 75%. However this lady did seem to know her stufff too. How did your child find the test??
Mel

Post by Mel »

Apologies Catherine, called you Cathy
catherine

Slough test

Post by catherine »

My son found the exam generally hard, specially in Maths. He always finished the NFERNelson test papers within the time limit, but missed 5 questions at the exam. He found the NVR and VR tests hardish but OK.
What did your son think of the exam?
Mel

Post by Mel »

Hi Catherine

My son also found it hard. I was surprised he missed 4 questions out on the VR and that was one area niether he or I was concerned with. To be honest we only done a limited amount of practise on Maths and Non Verbal as we had concentrated so much on VR for the Bucks test he was also doing. We live in Bucks. I knew the maths would include stuff they haven't yet covered at school and well the NV is a bit hit and miss as I don't believe you can teach it. He feels he done ok, he did finish the other two papers but I don't think he expects to pass. Up until this week I thought you needed atleast 75% so I wasnt that confident niether as when we did do some tests at home he was only getting about 65% on the maths and non verbal. However who can tell I have heard people say that thier children in the past thought they had failed and did actually pass. I do know that alot of children at our school said they found it hard if this is the case across the area it may mean the average score will come down and that in turn will effect the standardised scores. Did your son do the Bucks and is this your first experience of this. I have adaughter who is only 7 but one thing I have learnt from all this is that I wont wait until she is in year 5 to start tutoring her I'm going to start much earlier
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now