Pates

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

thsmum

Pates

Post by thsmum »

I live in Gloucester and my son went to a small state school.
He is finishing his first year at Pates. I considered Tommies and Crypt as well.

If anyone wants a view on the school or how the admissions process went I am happy to oblige.
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi thsmum, my DD is just finishing her first year there too, it's gone so quickly! has he enjoyed it?

jayne xx
thsmum

very much

Post by thsmum »

yes he is having a great time. I think it was the right choice for him.
:D
happyness

Re: Pates

Post by happyness »

thsmum wrote:I live in Gloucester and my son went to a small state school.
He is finishing his first year at Pates. I considered Tommies and Crypt as well.

If anyone wants a view on the school or how the admissions process went I am happy to oblige.
Pates is the best school in the county and if you want the best education go for it ..
capers123

Re: Pates

Post by capers123 »

Pates is the best school in the county and if you want the best education go for it ..
That depends how you define 'best'. It may be best for some children, yet for others of grammar ability that may not be true. Not every school is right for every child. Some might define best as including distance from home, other as pressure on the child, others the facilities the school has and others as score in exam required to get a place. Parents who already have children there may be slightly biased, as that's the school they chose for their child (so they must be right).

However, I would say that it is a very good school, from my limited knowledge. I'd encourage all Y5 parents to look at all the reasonable options and see what they offer. You might be surprised, or your preconceptions may be confirmed.

Good luck
Capers
gloucsdad

Post by gloucsdad »

i agree. Visit and see what you think.

I went to STR and it was impressively academic and traditional - quite like I thought Pate's would be like actually.

I found Pate's was more pastorally focused than I had thought and with more extra curricular than I could get my head round. It was the Art and Music that stood out.

Depends what would suit your child really. Bottom line - we have amazing schools in this area and our children are v lucky.
thsmum

Right school for your child

Post by thsmum »

I would absolutely agree with Pates only being right for some children.

I honestly believe that if they have to work really hard to get in they shouldn't be there - controversial I know. Why sentence your child to years of having to work out of their comfort zone feeling inadequate. Apparently this happens a lot.

If you have to do loads of extra work with your child and/or have a tutor is it worth it? They will be in a class with children who have not done any additional work, and have not been to public school, and passed.

I would not even consider it for my other child, and would not recommend it for any child who did not naturally really enjoy academic challenge. I suspect this is true for all the grammars. Luckily we have some outstanding alternatives in Glos.
capers123

Re: Right school for your child

Post by capers123 »

thsmum wrote:I honestly believe that if they have to work really hard to get in they shouldn't be there - controversial I know.
There again, I know some awfully bright children who passed with high scores and no tuition, who opt to go to their local grammar rather than travel half way across the county to Pates. I dare say that they'll do just as well whichever school they end up in.
Capers
gloucsdad

Post by gloucsdad »

I dont know that I agree with the idea that a student wo works hard to get in will struggle later.
WHen I have talked to (only a handful) of students they themselves pointed out that they still only o 10 GCSEs - fewer than some schools - so that they can be quite relaxed until the final stress of revision and prep in year 11 (which would happen anywhere). They spend a lot of time doing all the extra curricular stuff along the way.
Their stats certainly do not suggest that children drop off the bottom. It may be that actually there are, say, 250 students bright enough but only 120 places so that all those getting in are pretty similar in ability.
There may be some children you can find who say they struggle but you would find that anywhere and that may be more to do with teenage hormones than the 11+!
Milla

Post by Milla »

just to say that 2 boys from our school who were on the waiting list (one at place number 158) were offered places at Pates. Only one has taken his (freeing a space at Tommy's??) Could it be that it will be a sub-optimum (sub-PAN?!?) yearful this time??
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now