To continue 11+ tutoring or not? (low writing level)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
confusedparent

To continue 11+ tutoring or not? (low writing level)

Post by confusedparent »

Have just received my son's year 5 report and am confused as to whether to continue the 11+ route. His results are 5B in maths, 5C in reading, 4A in science, but only a 3B for his writing paper. It seems most of the class has done poorly in writing this year. He has the exact same mark as at the end of year 4 so no progress has been made this year.
I was wondering if anyone had some advice re: whether we should continue with 11+ and am also looking for a good english tutor in the Richmond/Kingston area. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Confused
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hi,

I would talk to his teacher.If the writing level is just the test result and unrepresentative of his ability, then all the other marks look promising. 8)

However if the teacher assessment puts him at the same level then there would be quite a bit of work to do, but not impossible still.
The other marks are good so if you don't proceed you will always wonder " what if...?"

Best wishes
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

The other thing is that if you are sitting Tiffin (assumption based on where you live) I think they only test verbal and non verbal reasoning (no personal experience here) and his reading is good.

Have you looked at any VR and NVR with him to see how he gets on. A good tutor should be able to give you some indication of whether they think he is suitable.

Good luck
Rosette

Post by Rosette »

Tiffin exam is multi choice VR and NVR so no writing required. :D

As his reading is good that would indicate his vocab is reasonable too.

Did he have same teacher for writing as for maths? I have had similar issue with my younger child not progressing this year in a couple of areas according to the report grades. I put it down to poor teaching and illogical grading system!

If you're already working on 11+ I see no reason to stop, he looks like a very bright child. But definitely speak to the teacher to see what they have to say.

Good luck!
Rosette
confusedparent

Post by confusedparent »

Dear All,

Thank you so much for all your replies. Had a long chat to his teacher & feeling much more positive.

However, If anyone knows of a good English tutor...

Regards
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Did your get DS get CAT results previously?

If so they will have VR and NVR scores which might be useful.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Thea

Post by Thea »

HAve just looked at the chart that came home with the reports yesterday - your DS's results look excellent for y5 - he is definitely up to scratch in the areas that matter.
Best Regards,
Thea
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now