new & confused

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bossyboots

new & confused

Post by bossyboots »

Hi there

I am wondering if anyone can help me - I am considering putting my DD forward for the 11+ this will not be for 3years & although I realise this is a little premature I wanted to try & gather as much information as possible so that I can make an informed decision

However coming at this as a total 'newbie' I have no idea what I should be doing & what the process is - can anyone help me?

many thanks in advance

BB
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hello,
What is it specifically you want to know?
It is a bit early for full on practice papers.Is your child in year 3? I know some people start early .If you wanted to, there are Verbal reasoning books aimed at this age.I know Bond do them.
As you may have read else where, some people pay for a tutor or home prepare.I home prepared my two daughters.Personally if your child is in year 3, I would encourage as much reading as possible and buy some fun maths workbooks/ internet games at a level or two above their actual age.
Sorry I am not being a huge help.Please ask specific questions and I will try to answer them.
Which school are you aiming for?
moved

Post by moved »

Reading, listening to stories, maths puzzles and games. Good spelling and excellent mental arithmetic will also help. These skills will help with VR, maths and English and should also help her at school.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

lots of word games etc to build up vocabulary

make sure she is really quick on multiplication, times tables, number bonds etc...this will really help to speed up answering some of the questions
bossyboots

Post by bossyboots »

thanks for your replies

numeracy is not her strong point so we are going to get her going on some games for that (luckily she loves games & learning)

we just had her report home & she was graded as follows (for end of year 3)

english/literature 3A
reading 4B
writing 3A
numeracy 3C
science 3B
ict 3B

so as I said we need to work on numeracy, I don't want to begin any formal prep for the 11+ but just introduce a bit of extra curricular help in a nice relaxed format - though she does love work books :)

BB
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now