Judd / Skinners 2010 admissions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Villagedad

Judd / Skinners 2010 admissions

Post by Villagedad »

Interesting post on the Skinners school website concerning 2010 admissions.

"Admissions 2010 Adjudication – No Change to Arrangements

Press Statement from The Skinners’ Company

30 June 2009

The Governing Bodies of The Judd School and The Skinners’ School are content with the outcome of the Adjudication on their Admission Arrangements. The decision confirms that both schools may continue to pursue their aim to provide high quality education to academically able children, regardless of social class or financial status. Selection will continue to be on merit in a fair test.

Both schools remain concerned by the disparity between the number of students in West Kent who are deemed selective, and the number of selective places available in West Kent; they will continue to work closely with the Local Authority, whose responsibility it is, to help resolve this situation."

It can be viewed in full on the link below - at the bottom right hand corner of Skinners website under Recent News:

http://www.skinners-school.co.uk/

Your comments would be welcomed as I find it difficult to fully interpret what the full text means, i.e. any changes likely in the future etc..

Best regards
Villagedad
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

I had a feeling that would pop up on here as a point of interest! :) 'Clutching at straws' is a phrase that comes to mind. Worth a try I suppose.
SSM

Post by SSM »

I don't know if I misunderstood, but was the complainant also saying that Judd and Skinners did not advertise their oversubscription policy well enough? It's not as if it's a new policy or they have changed anything, and it is there in black and white for all to see just like any other school's.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

And as it said in the document, it was made clear enough for the claimant to take issue with it! :?
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

Interesting comment from he-who-must-not-be-named:

"This abdication of responsibility by the Skinners Company schools for the shortage of grammar school places is astonishing. They know well that if they were to offer places to local boys first, the problem would all but vanish. KCC has no ability whatever to increase the number, given Government legislation." :shock:
Cory

Post by Cory »

Totally disagree with that.

If you look at where the children starting at Skinners in Sept come from, about half are from TW, 1/5 from Sevenoaks, and most of the others from Tonbridge. Ok so they may not be local, but it is still all in the same local teaching authority. There is a handful that come from as far a field as Hastings, Ashford or Orpington.

So yes, if they were to administer over subscription on distance, there might be a few more from TW, but what would happen to the kids from Sevenoaks.

Admittedly, I have no idea about where the kids from The Judd all come from.
tonup

Post by tonup »

Cory wrote:If you look at where the children starting at Skinners in Sept come from, about half are from TW, 1/5 from Sevenoaks, and most of the others from Tonbridge. Ok so they may not be local, but it is still all in the same local teaching authority. There is a handful that come from as far a field as Hastings, Ashford or Orpington.
Local grammar schools in West Kent, including Skinners and Judd, have nearly 40% of their pupils coming from outside the local area. That means that there are thousands of places across all years lost to local children who have no alternatives and are being sent to schools in Dover, Folkstone and Sittingbourne. This is a direct consequence of the admissions policy of Judd, Skinners et al.

The schools know this is happening and yet they are sitting back and doing nothing, absolutely and utterly nothing. They could take on another form as TWGSFB have been forced to do. Are they doing that? Of course not. They could reserve most places for local children like TOGs with a quota coming from out of the area. Are they doing that? Of course not. They are sitting back and watching a catastrophe unroll for local children.

I agree absolutely with he-who-must-not-be-named about the schools total disregard of their duties to local children. They are a disgrace. Judd and Skinners do not operate in isolation, they are part of the planning for school places in the area and their one finger salute to local children and KCC is causing chaos in the area.

I think that Judd and Skinners should be stripped of all public funding until they decide to fulfill their duty to local children. That money should go to a school operating for local children first. Judd and Skinners want to go private - fine - at least we will know where we are and we can get more places locally.

I also suspect that in the light of recent cases about private schools that Judd and Skinners charitable status must be in doubt. Does anybody know how we can initiate a complaint to the Charities Commission about Judd and Skinners?
Cory

Post by Cory »

Local grammar schools in West Kent, including Skinners and Judd, have nearly 40% of their pupils coming from outside the local area. That means that there are thousands of places across all years lost to local children who have no alternatives and are being sent to schools in Dover, Folkstone and Sittingbourne. This is a direct consequence of the admissions policy of Judd, Skinners et al.
tonup,

Where did you get your figures of 40% and where do you mean by local area?

Sevenoaks, might not be classified as local area, but Skinners is probably the third most closest GS, Judd being the closest.
tonup

Post by tonup »

Cory wrote:Where did you get your figures of 40% and where do you mean by local area?
What I actually said was nearly 40%. The exact figure is 36.35% of the intake this year were from outside West Kent. The figures were generated by KCC and were provided to our headteacher who was absolutely horrified by the figures.

The local area is 'West Kent' as defined by KCC and schools in the area for at least the past 60 years. This includes, as it has always done, Sevenoaks, Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells. For boys Judd, Skinners and TWGSB have always (well at least the past 60 years) been the 'local' grammar school for Sevenoaks which is why there has never been a grammar school built in Sevenoaks specifically for boys living in and around Sevenoaks. Likewise a girls' grammar school.
Cory

Post by Cory »

I don't know about The Judd or the past 60 years, but my son is starting at The Skinners' school in September and we have been given class lists which state the areas that the boys are travelling from and I can assure you that the figures are totally different to what KCC have stated. Admittedly this year may be an anomaly or the figures for Judd might be totally different, but for Skinners I would say about 80%, if not more, of the boys starting this Sept are from West Kent.

I do not have the figures on me, but later I can count exactly and give you exact percentages.