Scrum hats?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rugbymum

Scrum hats?

Post by Rugbymum »

Just got the sports kit list for Lawrence Sherriff - looks like a major shopping expedition will be required :shock:

The only non compulsory item was scrum hats - I don't want to get these if no one else will be wearing these (cos thats the kind of child DS is :roll: ) but then I do worry about head injuries. What do you think?
honscupboard

Post by honscupboard »

It depends what position your son plays - mine is on the wing so does not need one - he finds it very hot and can act like blinkers! However, he has worn one when it was raining really hard, so we keep it in the bag and he wore it once last season!
I would however be keen for him to wear it if he played a more active role in the scrum.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I force my unsporty-U-team-sub son to wear a hat (yes, he is mortified) but his brains are his biggest asset (at the mo :wink: ) and he needs to look after them!
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

I think it is worth having. Even though they offer only a small amount of protection. Most of DS's rugby club do wear them.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Only sports injury I would really be concerned about is to the neck/spine. Scrum hats are not going to protect against that. In fact it could be argued, in my view, that wearing them may encourage a child to "put their head in" when otherwise they would not have done so.
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

Interesting comment dadofkent - hadn't thought of that, but not entirely sure that if I took DS scrum cap away from him that he would not 'stick his head in!'
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Stick his head in where? :shock: I need to read up on the rules of this game....wonder if the tradition stems from the school that founded it!

Only joking Ed's mum
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Stick his head in where? :shock: I need to read up on the rules of this game....wonder if the tradition stems from the school that founded it!

Only joking Ed's mum
:shock: :lol: :lol:

Rugby not an issue here yet, makes me glad that I've only got girls to worry about - for the next couple of years at least, until DS is old enough to be forced into it (can't see it somehow :? - he's more your footie type!)

I did give in to H&S concerns though for DD2 and have ordered a proper fitted gum shield for her, something that DD1 didn't have. :oops:
Marylou
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

and there's a "forcing into it" rule too...the mind boggles! :shock:
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

Gum shields are compulsory - apparently you risk getting detention if you forget these.

Just got to work out where to get these - sports shop or the dentists? :?