Swine flu...?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Marylou

Swine flu...?

Post by Marylou »

... nasty sore throat coming on, v. busy weekend, wondering how I'm going to get through it and now panicking. Does anyone know what symptoms to expect? :? :(
Marylou
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Locally, people have said that it is mild and it has been described as 'gastric' by a local doctor who has seen some cases. Apparently, if you have more severe symptoms then it IS NOT swine flu. Don't know how true that is, that bit was relayed to me by someone else.

Get well soon x
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Flu is flu - even swine flu ! You feel grotty and achey and have a fever >38 (impossible to tell without a thermometer - no good saying they feel hot to th touch!) - also cough and sore throat. Far worse than a cold.

Some with swine flu are getting D&V too, not seen in the usual seasonal flu.

Ho ho - I woke at 0200 while doing a night shift with sore throat / cough / runny nose ... help I thought Swine Flu!!!! But no fever so just a stinky cold - much croaking down the phone to patients for the rest of the night!! - glad to get to bed in the morning
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Just to add, if you have a very high temperature then you often feel very chilly not hot, although others will be able to see that you are "burning up".
Flamenco

Re: Swine flu...?

Post by Flamenco »

Marylou wrote:... nasty sore throat coming on, v. busy weekend, wondering how I'm going to get through it and now panicking. Does anyone know what symptoms to expect? :? :(
I seem to remember the recent outbreak of swine flu (in the UK at least) happened right at the time when pupils were beginning or had just begun taking their public exams e.g. GCSE's and A-levels.

Some schools were shut, e.g. Eton College closed for an extra week in an attempt to control the disease and pupils had missed part(s) of their examinations. Anyone knows what becomes of their result?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Herman? My husband has temp of 39.2 and feels fluey. What do we do now? He has a chronic condition and is on immunosuppressants (sic?)
I shall assume we should seek advice. I know he should not go to docs.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Must get this seen to asap Ed's mum especially as he has a chronic condition. If he gets worse tonight you should take him to A&E but must see doc tomorrow. Obviously this is not the case for a healthy person with these symptoms. Hope he feels well soon! :(
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Read the Q & A I posted - I think you should NOT take him to the doctors - phone instead.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Don't worry, I know we shouldn't go to the GPs surgery. According to the NHS Direct website we should be calling a doc urgently. Husband thinks he knows better of course!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now