The dilemmas we face!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jenhug

The dilemmas we face!

Post by jenhug »

My daughters school did not recommend her for the 11+. She wants to take it anyway. She has also expressed the fact she wants to take both the Medway and the Kent test.

Her maths tutor thinks she will do better in the Kent test due to the non verbal reasoning, she tells me she has a visual brain and is quick at these things.

How different are the tests? We have to apply for the kent test by this Friday, I need to decide what to do!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Apply.

What have you got you lose?

If you decide not to sit then you don't have to but if you don't register then decide you want to give it a shot it will be too late.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Agree with Tracy,
Apply and you can always pull out - more difficult to register later!

If your daughter wants to try then let her - she may resent it if you don'y let her try.

Good luck!!
jenhug

Post by jenhug »

Thanks, Its how I was feeling, I am by no means pushy, its her life and I think she has the right to choose. School won't like it but hey ho!
She is SEN but is so sure she wants a grammer education, I feel its wrong of me to stand in her way.

Can anyone tell me how the scoring is worked out for both tests? School haven't given this info.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

jenhug wrote:Thanks, Its how I was feeling, I am by no means pushy, its her life and I think she has the right to choose. School won't like it but hey ho!
She is SEN but is so sure she wants a grammer education, I feel its wrong of me to stand in her way.

Can anyone tell me how the scoring is worked out for both tests? School haven't given this info.
quick Answer.

Kent

VR, NVR, and Maths.

Each standardised out of 140.

Pass: 360 cumulative, 114 minimum in any paper.

(english paper also taken, but used in appeals only)

Medway

VR, Maths, English

Each standardised out of 140.

Then English and Maths given double weighting, so that they are scored out of 280.

Pass mark is then based on cumulative score for three papers. As I understand it the pass mark is normally in or about the 520's.

Therefore Kent will tend to favour those better at NVR and VR, but has no tolerance for a particularly bad score in any one paper.
jenhug

Post by jenhug »

Thank you for that explanation.
I have registered her online today for the Kent test. I spoke to her Head and she was actually quite positive about it. She said the Kent test is harder to pass but I think its swings and roundabouts really, depends on your strengths.

Oh well, better start practicing the NVR now too! LOL!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now