weight of exceptional circumstances

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
janeyjack

weight of exceptional circumstances

Post by janeyjack »

Hiya, I've been reading your postings and am feeling less and less hopeful. My son, Alex acheived a score of 120. His headteacher has 'recommended for grammar school with reservations' and his predicted SATs scores are 4.
The headteacher was quite supportive, noting in the exceptional circumstances that Alex was greatly affected three years ago when his baby sister died, becoming withdrawn and losing focus at school.
We noticed Alex suffered during a subsequent pregnancy when he thought he was going to lose another sister. However, since Abbie arrived safely last July he has started to improve and is nearly back to his full potential.
Alex is our second eldest, his big sister is doing very well at Beaconsfield High School. We have five children now and truly value a good education in our home.
We are appealing for Alex and have our interview on 5th January. Does anyone have any advice?
Many thanks.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi janeyjack

I'm sorry to hear about the difficult time you have been through.

What "reservations" did the Head mention? Are you in Bucks? If so, what ranking did the Head give Alex?

My suggestion is that you must focus on two separate issues.

Firstly, Alex had a very positive 11+ result at 120 (what was his score for the other paper, & do you have any previous VR/NVR test results from school?) and he is very close indeed to the required level of suitability for GS. Bucks claim that the 11+ is a test of raw ability, not current academic achievement, so is very worthy of consideration based on that result.

Secondly, the predicted SATs of Level 4 are (using Bucks CC's own logic) a separate issue, and reflect his current level of academic achievement. This is where the extentuating circumstances, supported by the Head, really come into play. You can argue, with the Head's support, that his predicted SATs do not reflect his ability but his response to learning over the past 3 years.

As his performance had improved since July the extenuating circumstances are not going to have a direct bearing on his 11+ result in the eyes of the panel (unlike, for example, a family crisis during the immediate period of the 11+). However, you could perhaps add that as his academic focus had been depressed by your home situation, his vocabulary - an important element of the 11+ - was not as well-developed as it could have been in normal circumstances.

I would not tell the panel of your views on education - everyone going to appeal feels the same way, so that won't separate you from the common herd!

Please let us have more information so that we can help you further.

Sally-Anne
janeyjack

Post by janeyjack »

Thanks for your help, Sally-Anne
Yes, we live in Bucks. The Head has reservations because of Alex's dip in results. In Year 2 Alex achieved SATs 'above the nationally expected standard for 7 year olds' - 6 Level 3s scores and 3 Level 2As. Then we lost Isabelle and he dipped to average scores, gradually regaining his confidence until he achieved Levels 3a for Reading, and 4c for Writing and Maths last year in Year 5.

The Head thus ranked Alex 39 out of 60 and 38 at the school passed!

Alex found the first paper harder than the second and achieved 116 on that one - he finished both the papers.

The Head also added that Alex, being a May birthday, will mature and so 'a Grammar School place may be appropriate' - I am not sure his words give us much positive support - maybe we have a slim chance?

Thanks for any further advice,
Jane
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Jane

Could you give us the individual subjects with KS1 levels?

Regards
Etienne
janeyjack

Post by janeyjack »

Hi Etienne,
Alex's Key Stage 1 results were:-
Teacher Assessment Results
ENGLISH Speaking and listening, Reading and Writing - all Level 3

Task and Test Results
ENGLISH Reading Task, Reading Test both 2A, Writing Task Level 3

Teacher Assessment Result
MATHEMATICS Level 3

Task and Test Result
MATHEMATICS Level 3

Teacher Assessment Result
SCIENCE Level 2A

There are no tests or tasks in Science for Key Stage 1 - it was teacher assessed only at this school.

Many thanks, Jane
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Jane

With one score of 120, I do feel your appeal stands a chance for that reason alone.

I have often made the point that SATs measure something different from the 11+, but a panel will examine all the alternative evidence and would not normally be happy with a prediction of straight 4s.

Originally you didn't even mention the above average KS1 results. In your particular case I think it's important to take copies of the KS1 results with you to the hearing to emphasise the standard of Alex's work before all the extenuating circumstances.

The head's support is not as positive as I would have liked, but his order of suitability seems very accurate, and if your feeling is that he tends to be cautious and realistic, you could quite reasonably point this out.

Was Alex ever so upset that the GP became involved? If so, there really needs to be confirmation by the GP of the effect on him. If not, as second best, it might be worth talking to the GP now to see if he/she will provide any written support (this carries less weight than GP involvement at the time, but would be better than nothing).

I do think your case will give the panel a headache! For what it's worth, on the information available, I would rate your chances of success at 30-40% (i.e. more than slim!).

Good luck
Etienne
janeyjack

Post by janeyjack »

Thanks Etienne,
I posted a copy of Alex's Key Stage 1 results with the appeal letter - was this not a good idea?

My husband and I also plan to take along some of Alex's best schoolwork and some items his Year 6 teacher has suggested that have been displayed in the classroom.

Would it help to say Alex has also just won second place in a local art competition?

We don't want to bore the panel with trivia, though.

The GP we saw after Isabelle died thought we were coping, under the circumstances, very well as a family. He reassured us that with time and support Alex would regain his concentration at school.

I do hope we don't give the panel a headache.
Thanks, Jane
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Jane

It's fine if you've already submitted the KS1 results - but do draw the panel's attention to them.

No need to mention the Art competition.

I would advise going back to the doctor and asking if he would be willing to put in writing (1) that he did discuss at the time how the family was coping, and (2) that "with time and support Alex should regain his concentration at school".

Best wishes
Etienne
janeyjack

Post by janeyjack »

Thanks so much for all your advice.
I'll let you know how we get on.
We'll stay positive!
Hope everybody has a great Christmas and Good Luck!
Much love, Jane.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now