appeal for langton

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rains

appeal for langton

Post by rains »

hi everyone

i am new to this forum and also new to canterbury area. My daughter gave a recent kent test for admission to 2009. i am very happy to say that she has passed with 418 marks. this is a great thing as she prepared only for 30 days and worked day and night to get through such high score.

now my question is i am looking for admission to langton school and they have denied to give her a place and have asked to go for an appeal process. i do not know what are the positive points i can put into it.
or if you can suggest any other good school where she can get into with such good marks????????
rains

Post by rains »

on what ground i can now go into appeal process.

i would appreciate if somebody help
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Have you read the stickies?

What basis did they reject you? No places?
rains

Post by rains »

yes, oversubscription
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Etienne
rains

Post by rains »

thanks

i did see some appeal letters which i am unable to find now. can somebody send me link for that
rains

Post by rains »

hi etienne,

i read quite a few parents letters in the forum and found out they found you very helpful.

i would appreciate if you could guide me regarding this.

we are moving from london to canterbury and as per score my daughter has done fantastic in kent test with 418. with over subscription critaria being put down by school, it is making my case weaker. i would prefer all girls school over mixed school which leaves me with the choice of barton court, which is second choice.

i do not have much knowledge regarding any other good grammar school nearby to that area. if somebody can help
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

A simple appeal letter against oversubscription can be found here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... c&start=10
with over subscription critaria being put down by school, it is making my case weaker
I'm not sure if I've understood you correctly, but you are not limited to the school's oversubscription criteria when you go to appeal. An appeal panel is free to consider any arguments you put forward.
we are moving from london to canterbury
It is better to appeal either after you've moved, or when you have evidence that you are fully committed to the move (e.g. a contract with a date of completion for house purchase). This is because being in catchment might strengthen your case.
i would prefer all girls school over mixed school
For an appeal you will need to give reasons and provide evidence if possible (for example, a Muslim family would be advised to get a letter of support from their Imam).

I'm afraid I can only help with appeals, not choice of school.

Good luck
Etienne
katel

Post by katel »

There is a girl's grammar school in Sittingbourne, which I understand (I may be wrong) is not oversubscribed.

Again, I could be wrong, but I don't think the number of marks she got in the 11+ wlll influence your appeal - in this bit of Kent it's 115, 120 120)or thereabouts) or more= selective, anything less= non selective. regardless of actual marks, if you see what I mean.

Langton's catchment was MUCH narrower this year than last, and it has a big waiting list.

Sorry if none of this was helpful!
rains

Post by rains »

thanks

Katel, are you talking about Queen elizabeth school??

i did not get about your kent marks of 115, 120, 120

i got a letter saying 160, 160 158.

i have taken up house at rent near kent and canterbury hospital for now which makes it within catchment area for langton.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now