Still having a problem in maths-any ideas ?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mum23

Still having a problem in maths-any ideas ?

Post by mum23 »

Hi

My son is in year 8 and we have just had his report which says his maths level is a 5a.He missed a level 6 by 4 marks.In year 7 his test showed he was a level 5c but his teacher said he was working at a 5b.At parents evening a few months ago his teacher said he was working at around a level 6. When I look at last years assesment at a level 5b and this years test at level 5a then it looks as though he has not made much progress.He is getting A's in all other subjects and feels quite down in the dumps about his maths.We have always helped him and do bits of extra work with him to try and boost his confidence but I'm wondering if any of you have any ideas what else we could do ? I am thinking of going back to basics and going back over the KS2 CGP book during the hols to see if he has a solid grasp of everything.His times tables are excellent and I can't quite put my finger on what is holding him back.

Any ideas gratefully received !
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi,

I would work through a KS3 paper with him - maybe there are topics that he has misunderstood, maybe there are topics that were not taught.

Confidence is a key aspect of Maths so I would encourage him to keep trying. If his school subscribes to MyMaths that would also be useful = he can get instant feedback.

KS3 papers here:

http://www.emaths.co.uk/KS3SAT.htm
mum23

Post by mum23 »

Thankyou for your suggestions,he does have access to Mymaths and is always told to use level 6 or 7 for homework but then when the tests come he is always lower than the level he has been working at in class.As you say confidence is a big thing,he sails through all his other topics,I just wish he could feel the same way about maths.Any ideas how to boost his confidence in this subject ?

Many thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Does he have a textbook that they use? Do you have access to a scheme of work?

One strategy would be to look at the next topic before it is taught to check he has remembered/understood the prior learning needed.
mum23

Post by mum23 »

No he doesn't have a textbook and I have no idea what scheme of work he is following.It seems a bit "jumpy" one day this topic another day a different topic.He has one week left, do you think it would be worth asking the teacher what scheme they are following ?

Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It might be -

Also he could work through the six boosters on MyMaths - the online worksheets (school log in and personal id will keep a record)
mum23

Post by mum23 »

Thanks for your help