Blackfen for Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dani*

Blackfen for Girls

Post by dani* »

Hi,

My daughter is starting year 5 next September and we are about to start our 11+ preparations. I would feel a lot less nervous about the whole thing if I had a good Comp. alternative to look at. Has anyone looked at Blackfen school for Girls? I guess that for where we are living Beaverwood would be an alternative but I don't like the underpass, in case she decides to walk and when I looked at it a year ago it looked so old and tired. If anyone has any good idea's as to non selective schools for girls in the area would love to hear.

Thanks
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

We are beginning to think the same for our daughter. Are you within Blackfen catchment? - I know it is very small (and is measured around the streets, not as the crow flies) so we won't get in.

Do you want single sex or mixed? We were very impressed with Cleeve Park when we looked around last year for our son.

I'm not sure where you live - are you close enough to Bullers Wood? We are too far from that as well!

We may have to look into Greenwich - I know someone who liked the look of Eltham Hill when they looked round (but passed the 11 plus and are going to Bexley Grammar)

The problem with living in an area with grammar schools is that the alternatives are not so good if you have a fairly bright child who may not pass the 11 plus, or for whom a grammar school wouldn't be appropriate - my daughter is bright but has dyslexia, including huge problems with recalling facts (eg number bonds) so is unlikely to pass the 11plus and even if she did would struggle when she got there - she needs a really good, properly comp. school.
dani*

Post by dani* »

One of our neighbours ( the girl who lives opposite ) goes to Blackfen. We are 1.1 Mile away that is Street distance, not how the crow flies. The people who we bought the house from had two girls at Beaverwood. I would prefer a mixed school. If we pass we would probably go for C&S because that is nearest to us however CP is not an option for us. My daughter does not want to go there. This might not be a bad thing because she is determined to work very hard as she want to avoid CP at all cost. Just don't know where to start and it would be great to have a good alternative if she doesn't make it. I wish there was something like Hurstmere for girls in the area of maybe an affordable independent ( if they exist )
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

My Plan B will be St Catherines. My other local schools don't inspire me at all!
dani*

Post by dani* »

For us the local schools don't tick the boxes either. It seems much easier to find a good alternative for boys in my area than it is for girls. On the other hand for those who pass the choice is brilliant.