Does the application form MATTER?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sheepwolf

Does the application form MATTER?

Post by sheepwolf »

By which I mean the school's application form?

For example if there is over-subscription and all those under consideration have similar high marks? Will the details on the application form be material?

If so, what kinds of things are schools interested in knowing about?

Thanks!
lion63

Post by lion63 »

I don't think that it matters for allocation of places. I assume you are talking about state schools.

The school(s) would have to use published criteria, with due attention to the School Admissions Code, to award places and therefore cannot use additional information on the application form to decide if a child gets a place.

Information such as groups your child is a member of ( Cubs,Art society, Gymnastics Team, Athletics, Chess, School Council, Library Monitor etc etc) are probably used to pick out and offer positions to when the child is already in the school.

The only things that may matter are Music grades , Drama, Dance Grades that are part of the school's admission criteria and those will have been very clearly explained in the school's prospectus and application form.

Independent schools are a different kettle of fish; everything your child did, can do or is in the middle of doing is of interest to the school as they pick their pupils not just on academic tests but on how their child will benefit from attending their school and vice versa.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Are you talking about a voluntary aided church school where church attendance and a vicar's reference are required? If so, it might matter if the vicar did not send a reference, and you had not put any details on the application form so they could not get in touch with your vicar.

Are you applying at the normal time for Year 7 entry, or at another point in time?

We could all give you more helpful answers if you could give us some more details.

Good luck with your application.
sheepwolf

Post by sheepwolf »

Thanks. Yes, I was referring to State grammar schools.

Interesting that Music grades might contribute to admissions criteria - I will have a look in more detail (and cross my fingers he passed his guitar exam! :D )
sheepwolf

Post by sheepwolf »

Sorry... Trying to be brief!

Application for Year 7 entry based on 11+ in state grammar (not a religious school). The form has about a paragraph where you can add 'additional information' and suggests you may continue on another sheet if necessary.

I am just wondering what kinds of things people put on the form and whether it makes a difference.

Thanks v much.
lion63

Post by lion63 »

perplexed wrote:a voluntary aided church school where church attendance and a vicar's reference are required? If so, it might matter if the vicar did not send a reference, and you had not put any details on the application form so they could not get in touch with your vicar.
In that case, Perplexed, the school will have the 'vicar's reference' as a published criteria in its prospectus and prospective candidates will have been made very aware that failure to produce said reference will result in the applicant being considered last or not at all.
sheepwolf wrote:Interesting that Music grades might contribute to admissions criteria - I will have a look in more detail (and cross my fingers he passed his guitar exam!
Yes, you must look very carefully at the published criteria; in some schools, your child may be eligble for more than one category (academic test, Music, Drama, Sport) therefore increasing your child's chances of getting into the school of your choice.

Check for minimum standards for Music if they have such an admissions criteria.
lion63

Post by lion63 »

sheepwolf wrote:Application for Year 7 entry based on 11+ in state grammar (not a religious school). The form has about a paragraph where you can add 'additional information' and suggests you may continue on another sheet if necessary.

I am just wondering what kinds of things people put on the form and whether it makes a difference.
I am fairly sure the schools use this additional information to organise the classes for e.g- not all the sporty people are in one class and all the musical ones are in another.

Different schools do it differently as well. Some put children from the same schools in different classes, some make sure there is at least two from the same primary in one class or that there is a good mix of prep and state school pupils in a single class. I would even go as far to say that the minority groups (and as good a proportionate balance of boys and girls if a mixed school) will also be evenly placed in the different classes to ensure a good mix of pupils.

edit: We did put down a few things about the character of our child..nothing too strongly worded.. otherwise they are but candidate numbers in the whole process...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now