Bedtimes WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Lady.in.blue

Bedtimes WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Lady.in.blue »

Hello,

Well my daughter (currently 11) is moving up to secondary school in September.

Though the other day she asked if she would be able to go to bed a bit later now she is "more grown up''. :shock:

See now my dilemma is what to change her bedtime to (if I change it at all).

Well her bedtime now is as follows:

School Nights- 8:50 read 9:05 bed
Weekend- 9:30 bed or she can read untill 10:00 at the very latest.

At her new school she is given 1 hour of homework per day to be handed in the next day. See I don't want to give her a bedtime to early where she gets no rest from doing homework, but I don't want to make it to late so she is really tired in the morning.

So if you could please suggest a bedtime it would be much appreciated. :D

P.s- She will have to wake up at around 6:45-7:00am
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

The recommended number of hours of sleep for an 11 year old is 10. Therefore if you say she has to wake at 7am ideally she should be in bed by 9pm!
Not always achievable I know!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hi,
i have one the same age.In term time she is in bed to read for 30 mins at 8,30.Sat night is a ten o clock turn in ( family night).
I have one three years older and I know it will change for the eleven year old come sept, due to home work.
From experience I have learned to ask about homework load for the evening as soon as they are in from school.General rule an hour to chill when they first get in or less if they have clubs.At least 40 mins to chill after homework.This gives a varying bedtime term time between 8.30 - 9.30 worst case on a heavy homework today.
Hope that helps.
8)
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

My dd currently has the same timetable as yours Lady in blue.

She too has asked for a later bedtime come September.

I have explained to her that for the first couple of months she will find the longer days a strain and we have agreed to keep her bedtime to the current time (ie: 9 pm) and see how she copes. If she copes well I will consider moving it to say 9.30 on a weekday night. If we find she is struggling it will remain at 9 pm until such time as she is physically able to cope.
fm

Post by fm »

My daughter was bed at 8.30pm, lights out at 9pm before secondary school.

I made the mistake of extending this by half an hour to allow for homework when she went to grammar school. Not only is the homework burden nothing like I imagine but she is showing signs of needing more sleep (irritable, poor concentration etc.) as she also has to be up for 6.45am. I wish I had not extended it.

I would leave it as it is and adjust on the odd occasion if strictly necessary.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

i have one the same age.In term time she is in bed to read for 30 mins at 8,30.Sat night is a ten o clock turn in ( family night).
Ditto, and ditto. in theory, at least :lol:

I like Snowdrops’ idea of leaving as is initially and taking a bit of time to see how the land lies in terms of homework, after-school clubs etc
Freya

Post by Freya »

Reminded me of something DS said to me the other day.

He is 11 now, 12 in Nov. He said:

"When I was little (a year ago lol!) I used to make a fuss about staying up but now I'm older I realise I need my sleep and sometimes choose to go to bed before you tell me (true!). Actually Mum, I really love my bed!"

. . . oh no teenage years approaching? :shock:

Generally his set bedtime has been 9:15 and read for 15 mins. He has to get up at 8:00am. If he is playing cricket though there are evenings when we don't even get home until 9:30pm, sometimes 9:45pm. Bedtime has therefore had to be more flexible and I think this has helped him realise that if he is tired then he needs to go to bed. There is no set time for him to go to bed on Fridays or Saturdays. Sometimes he chooses to stay up and watch a film with us or chat round a late dinner table and sometimes he takes himself off quite early with a book. I like that he is developing his own discipline.
tense

Post by tense »

My 12 yr old (just finishing Yr 7) has also learnt to take herself off to bed when she is tired - which she often is on school nights, more due to sport than homework. She will quite happily go to bed at 8ish - that's before her 8 yr old brother goes!

So Lady in Blue, I agree with the others! Leave it as it is at the moment & promise your DD you will adjust it after a while - you may find she doesn't ask you again...

T x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now