Perimeter question - Bond 11+ Standard Test 2 q28

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

camillaburdett

Perimeter question - Bond 11+ Standard Test 2 q28

Post by camillaburdett »

I can see why the perimeter of this room is 37m (for those who don't have it in front on them right now, it is basically a rectangle with segments cut out and most of the lengths of the sides given) and I see why in saying "not to scale" they are asking the child to calculate rather than measure. BUT, if it's not to scale does this mean the angles are not necessarily accurate? And if so, should it just be taken for granted that they are all right angles, as they appear to be? Because surely otherwise the lengths of the sides would be different, ie if there were diagonals involved.

I can see this easily, but I'm not sure my son will be able to!

Thanks
Jah

Post by Jah »

I don't know the question, but generally speaking, if a drawing is marked Not to Scale, I would expect any one to state what the angles are if this is relevant to the question. For example, a rhombus could have the same lengths of sides as a square, but the diagonals would be different. Is there anything in the wording of the question, which might imply that the angles are right-angles? Perhaps, I am over-complicating things.
camillaburdett

Post by camillaburdett »

thanks for your advice! there's nothing in the wording of the question but maybe im erading too much into it - the angles are clearly right angles they just aren't marked, and im not sure my 10 year old will even notice the ambiguity. anyway it's christmas now so i'm having a few days off worrying!