Altrincham Girls in year admissions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Haze77

Altrincham Girls in year admissions

Post by Haze77 »

Hi. Our daughter will be in year 8 and taking the in year admissions entrance exam in November at Altrincham girls.

Does anybody have any information as to what these in year entrance exams are like.

What are the chances for in year admission if she passes the entrance exam?

Many Thanks in advance.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Have you talked to the school?

The website gives the following info for in-year transfers:

"...Admissions for pupils applying to enter years 7 to 11 (from another secondary school)
2.1 Applicants who have previously applied and sat the School Entrance Examination and who have not achieved the qualifying score for entry must leave a minimum of twelve months before applying for re-assessment.
2.2 Applicants from another secondary school applying to enter years 7 to 11 will be assessed for their suitability for a grammar school place using selection tests which are as follows:
2.3 The assessment of applicants who wish to enter the School in Years 7, 8, 9 or 10 shall be by one Non-Verbal paper, one Mathematical paper, a written English paper and a written paper in French or German or Spanish.
2.4 The minimum qualifying score for each subject is as follows: English 65%; Mathematics 60%; MFL 70%; NVR raw score 29 or standardised 112. To qualify, the Applicant needs to meet three of the four minimum qualifying scores...."

I would have thought (but have no actual knowledge) that the foreign language, English and Maths papers would be pretty similar to the end of Y7 exams taken by the then Y7 this June. NVR I presume will be a age-appropriate test.

The Admissions team at AGGS are very pleasant and I am sure would be able to help you out if you call them (0161 912 5912).

Will your daughter have to start at another Alty secondary school while she waits to take the exam? That's a bit of a pain.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Sorry, I forgot to address your question about in-year vacancies.

The current Y7 is a 7 form entry year group which, with 29 girls in each class, means the total number of girls in the year is 203. The PAN is actually only 174, but for the last few years (including the current Y8 and the new Y7 starting this September) they have admitted 203. The AGGS population is a very stable one so I suspect there will be few if any spare places. Again, ask Admissions.

Sorry I can't give you more concrete info but hope it helps. FWIW I have one daughter currently in Y8 and another starting in Y7 in Sept so I do have personal knowledge of the school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now