Leavers day

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
capers123

Leavers day

Post by capers123 »

Leavers services at Cathedral, Baptist Church, Musical Soiree (with Y6 solos), then last night Y6 Leavers evening (7 to 10pm, with memories, speeches, book presentations to pupils and wine to buy at £5 per bottle).

To top it all, this morning was The Leavers Assembly. Pretty much the same spots as last night, but quicker. Not because it was better practiced, but because half the children couldn't say their lines as they were crying.

It was quite touching seeing one Y6 teacher with two hefty Y6 boys sitting on her knees sobbing. Seeing boxes of tissues handed out along the lines with 'take one and pass it on'. Reception caught on and some were crying, then further up the school. I think that about 39 out of 41 in the year cried at some point - the two non-cryers being girls. My DD sobbed for about 1 min, but then cheered up again, others were in tears for over 1 hour.

It was quite funny hearing them singing cheery songs (We're all going on a Summers Holiday) interspersed with sobs. Some of the teachers tried to put on happy faces and get the whole school waving arms, but with limited success.

It was also the head teachers last assembly, which didn't help matters.

And it's also not as if they won't see each other again - most are going to either the local comp (20) or grammars (18), and most live in the same village.
Capers
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

DD had the same last year, TBH I felt it was a bit OTT and encouraged by one of the teachers who was handing out tissues BEFORE they started crying. Kids were going to lots of different schools so understandably were a bit upset.

Had the whole year for a birthday party later that day and I was very relieved that all left that smiling and happy - it was a much nicer way to leave each other.
andyb

Post by andyb »

Mucho tears at DS's school this lunchtime :cry: Group hugs all round - boys and girls. Like Capers, most children live in the same village so will see each other around and there are big-ish groups going to most of the secondary schools. Ah well, it's a big event in their young lives.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

I blame Princess Di. Wasn't like this in my day.
lion63

Post by lion63 »

I blame Mr. Green :mrgreen:
He should have stood up to the aliens and made them leave the children alone.

Crying en masse and feeling blue; how would we know if it's swine flu or not when the children come home with their red noses and puffy eyes?

(sorry, watching Torchwood reruns)
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

We had our leavers' assembly on Wednesday, lots of tears then.

Wednesday evening was the summer production and lot of laughs then.

Just finished school for the last time at 2.30 pm today and a few tears but not so many as previous years because they are all excited about tonight's leavers ' party which we have organised (WHY did it have to rain today!!!! :cry: ).

I've been very good and only whelled up oooh 6/7 times so far, it will be the closing 'ceremony' this evening that gets me (I shall tell you what that particular ceremony is tomorrow!).

We have a fantastic night lined up for our little darlings and I think it's one they will remember for the rest of their lives :D
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Snowdrops wrote: We have a fantastic night lined up for our little darlings and I think it's one they will remember for the rest of their lives :D
Our lot have booked out the local swimming pool tomorrow! :) Should cheer them up after all the :cry: :cry: :cry: today.
Marylou
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

Yesterday was our school's last day of term and the Leavers Assembly was held yesterday morning - the parents, some teaching staff and even the Headteacher all shed tears. For me, the worst bit was the slideshow showing photos of Y6 children going back to when they first started and itwas a shock seeing how small and sweet they all looked then :cry:

The school achieved Outstanding in their OFSTED inspection a few weeks ago so there was quite a bit of celebrating as well.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Well, I still haven't recovered from last night - what an evening!!!!

It all started at 7 pm - should have been 6.30 pm, but an accident on the roads delayed things. So, with the delay the kids were hyper from running round the car park (where we were meeting) along with all their brothers and sisters. The rain was chucking it down and the wind was howling, but we all continued to wait for the big event with eager anticipation, even overcoming our chilled bones and blue lips.

Eventually we received a 'phone call, the 'special man' was almost here, the kids got wind of it and all of a sudden a car appeared, and got longer and longer and longer, the children realised what it was and with a massive whoop and squeals of joy they all ran as one towards the car park entrance - they knew this was for them and boy was it exciting! Their delight at seeing the stretch hummer was so worth it. The interior was fantastic, twinkly lights on the ceiling 3 plasma screens, music bopping loudly and 'pink champagne' for their journey. Their happiness knew no limits!

We set them on their way and we parents then jumped into our cars and made our way to one of the parent's houses who had very kindly allowed us use of their house and grounds where we had the use of all the house and a huge marquee in the garden! (we'd had problems all day with the marquee because of the high winds, up in the dales where we were it was even worse).

Come 8pm and the children were delivered back to where the party now had moved to, time for more photos and then on into the house where the party lights were glowing, the balloons blowing and the music blaring. Before too long the wine and beer (for adults) and shandy (very weak) for the honoured guests was flowing and the bbq miraculously remained alight (although the wind was trying very hard to blow over the tables in the marquee which held the salads and sweets etc) we all indulged in some food and a bit of quiet time in the marquee, talking over the kids and the great times they'd had at the school and then it was back into the great hall inside the house for 'The Most Awards'.

These awards were special in that the children had filled in a questionnaire a month earlier, in doing so they had unknowlingly voted for these awards. The head was asked to present them (we had invited all the staff along who had taught them as well as office staff and ta's) and each child made a speech (my dd giving her (funny) impression of Gwynneth Paltrow!!). The awards consisted of a proper trophy cup which had their name on, the award and the date. The children were thrilled with them and they actually mirrored each child's personality (spookily enough!).

Time then for more dancing and general mayhem before the closing ceremony. This unfortunately is where the weather eventually defeated us. The rain by now had stopped but the winds were still gusting, we handed around the Chinese lanterns anyhow. One person did a test to see if it were possible for them all to be set off, and whilst initially it floated into the air beautifully, the wind then gusted and blew the lantern back down and onto a fence, from which it was quickly retrieved. It was then decided that everyone should take their lanterns home and set them going on a calmer night with just their families around them.

Our mission was now complete and one by one the families drifted off home with tired but happy children all saying their goodbyes. No tears, just happy memories and promises to stay in touch.

Was it worth it? you betcha!!!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

How very special Snowdrops!!

You have brought a lump to my throat just thinking of the amazing experiences that you gave to the children. A pity that the weather eventually spoiled the tail end of the evening, but I guess you hardy Northerners are used to it (!)

Brilliant!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now