Hello and Advice, please!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lancashire & Cumbria

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dolly

Hello and Advice, please!

Post by dolly »

A big hello to you all - so glad to have found this forum.

I was just wondering if someone could advise which packs we should look at getting.

My son is applying to Clitheroe Grammar who I know use the Nfer board for English and Maths. However, their verbal reasoning tests are 'obtained from an educational foundation and are copyrighted' so they cannot include a past paper in the entrance booklet.

Do you think we should look at getting the Nfer for that section as well?

He is a very bright boy and has breezed the papers for English and Maths but it is this section that lets him down a little. We are out of catchment also so he really needs to be as strong as possible as it is likely he will be competing for about one of 20 places! :?

Thanks so much for any help you can give.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Welcome to the forum!

I think you will get better/quicker response by scrolling down the page and posting in the area sections.

Good luck -

[moved to Lancaster -- WP]
Lancaster_Girls

Post by Lancaster_Girls »

Hi and welcome.

Clitheroe, LGGS and LRGS all sit the same papers on the same day. The schools get together and write a Maths and English paper. As you say the Verbal Reasoning is obtained from and educational foundation.

My daughter sat and passed the test last year and she starts LGGS this September :lol: and we too live outside the catchment area so I know what you mean about competing for a very small number of places!

If you look on the LGGS website under "Admissions" there is a PDF with information about the Entrance Test and a list of different papers for Verbal Reasoning which may be worth looking at.
There are also two Maths and two English past papers which are very helpful. It gives you an idea of the lay out of the papers.

Hope this is of some help and best wishes to you and your son! At least you get to find out if they have been offered a place within two weeks of taking the test!
dolly

Post by dolly »

Hi,

Thanks for replying - I will definitely look at the LGGS site. CRGS have some practice papers on and we have done those along with the Letts papers. Typically my son is on his school residential course the week before the test - in fact he arrives back the night before which is quite worrying.

Hope your daughter enjoys LGGS and congratulations on her getting in. :D
Lancaster_Girls

Post by Lancaster_Girls »

Hope all is going well with Practise Papers and I hope your son can enjoy his Residential without worrying too much!