What should be the expected level in y7 German?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

essex-mum18

What should be the expected level in y7 German?

Post by essex-mum18 »

Hi

My DS started learning German in y7 for the first time and he was given a level 6 in his work.

I just wonder what should be the expected level in y7 German if he has never learnt the language before ?

Thanks in advance.
Chelmsford mum

Re: What should be the expected level in y7 German?

Post by Chelmsford mum »

essex-mum18 wrote:Hi

My DS started learning German in y7 for the first time and he was given a level 6 in his work.

I just wonder what should be the expected level in y7 German if he has never learnt the language before ?

Thanks in advance.
DD1 got mid 6 in yr 7 and up three sub levels yr 8.She is at the school across the road to your son(I think).My understanding it that they aim for secure level 7 by the end of KS3, which for them comes at end of year 8.

hope that helps 8)
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

Hi, CM

Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, my son is studying at KEGS and just across the road to County High.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In languages I think level 4 is OK by the end of Y7 ... especially in those they have not studied before.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I know that at DD's school, at the first parent's evening Level 7 by the end of KS3 was given as a stated aim by a language teacher.I suspect KEGs would be very much the same.
That said it is an extremely good result. :D
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

Guest55

Thanks for the info.

CM

Thanks. We missed the language teacher at the first parent evening because he was fully booked for the appointments. Therefore, I had no chance to talk to him and did not know the expected level. My son is very happy because he has got very good results for the end of the year exams and will be in the top set for Maths next year. Now, at least I know he is doing well in language which was always my weak subject at school :cry:
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

essex-mum18 wrote:Guest55

Thanks for the info.

CM

Thanks. We missed the language teacher at the first parent evening because he was fully booked for the appointments. Therefore, I had no chance to talk to him and did not know the expected level. My son is very happy because he has got very good results for the end of the year exams and will be in the top set for Maths next year. Now, at least I know he is doing well in language which is always my weak subject at school :cry:
There will always be a range despite the school wanting level 7 but he is right on course to achieve that. :D Sounds like he is doing really well.
:D :D
Hope DD2 does ok :?
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

Chelmsford mum wrote:
There will always be a range despite the school wanting level 7 but he is right on course to achieve that. :D Sounds like he is doing really well.
:D :D
Hope DD2 does ok :?
I am sure your DD2 will enjoy the new school in Sept . County High is a lovely school and my son knows a few girls there by going to disco and on the train journey.
jemima

Post by jemima »

At my children's school it would be very rare to get above a 4 at yr 7 german after one year but they all go on to get A and A* at GCSE.