help i need advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
vicky109

help i need advice

Post by vicky109 »

hi im new 2 this site, and need some advice if i can get it.my child has really worked hard this year,and gone from being 2b to 4a would there be any point in putting her in for her 11 pluss.her teacher has said go for it she may just get by. as she likes and is good under tests,we only have one school where we live which is rubbish,so i feel that at least grammer may give her a chance,what do i do. :? i really dont like the idea of her going to this rubbish school.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

What subject is this result for? That is a HUGE amount of progress in one year. Normally we would only expect a child to make 2 sub levels p.a. Has the current teacher given any indication as to why she has made so much progress? Is one of the results erronious? Hopefully the 4a result is based upon teacher assessment and not just the result of one set of tests.

How do you feel your daughter is performing now? Have you asked your daughter if she would like to try?

If the school she would attend is not so good, then I suppose you have nothing to lose. A 4a is a really great position to be in at the end of year 5!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

If you're not confident about the result it might also depend what area you live in - the number of choices you get on the form varies from area to area and in some areas you get 11+ results before you fill in the form while in others you don't. Which area do you live in?

Mike
vicky109

Post by vicky109 »

thanks 4 getting back to me she has got 4a for everythink .teacher has said due to her hard wk,confedence,and love of reading.we live in kent so here do test before app to school ,but is 4a s good enough to get her through 11 pluss. she wants to do it but i dont want her to feel bad if she doesn t get pass. after all the hard wk she has done this year, she is very head strong.and is strong willed too. we are already very so pleased with her.the rubbish school has been failing for years,from sep will be a academey.where the children will b mixed in age for teaching.from 11 to 16 year olds.apart from english and math ,which sounds mad to me. i dont think she will cope with that.. :roll:
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Vicky109 - regulars are going to be sick of me saying this again, but SATs aren't very reliable predictors of how a child will do in the 11+. We're in Bexley where the 11+ is very similar to Kent. Two of my boys have passed the 11+. One was a level 5 in everything at the end of year 5. He passed by about 10 marks. The other was 4a maths, 4b english and he passed by about 40 marks. 4a is really good at the end of year 5 - especially for a child at a poor school.

Do some practice with her and I can't see any reason why she shouldn't pass. If you haven't already done any, you need to get the Nfer Nelson practice papers and get her to work through them before the tests (when you do the NVR papers, don't start with Paper A as it's a really hard paper and may put her off). You need to post any further questions in the Kent section and, if you look at some of the posts already there, you might pick up some more tips.

Good Luck!
vicky109

Post by vicky109 »

thanks u all made me feel a lot more confdent now.i will look on the kent post. thanks again.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

which part of kent do you live in Vicky?
vicky109

Post by vicky109 »

i live in minster on sheppy
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

If your child has just finished end of Year 5, you are too late to register for Kent test. You can, however, still register for Medway test.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now