Susan Daughtrey papers

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bexley Mum 2

Susan Daughtrey papers

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Sorry if I'm asking for information which has already been given elswhere on the forum, but I just wanted to clarify whether people are referring to the same thing when they talk about Susan Daughtrey papers and Bright Sparks. I notice that people keep referring to Susan Daughtrey Bright Sparks papers, but the set of Susan Daughtrey papers I have doesn't mention the phrase "Bright Sparks".

Does anyone know if they're the same thing or if they differ in any way (eg level of difficulty or topics covered). And if they are different, does anyone have a view on which are the best to use - Bright Sparks or the ordinary Susan Daughtrey papers?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The bright sparks papers (there are 2 sets of 4) cover only the 21 types of question for Bucks and NfER type papers. She aso does technique and practice books which cover more than those 21 types, so not all teh types of question will be relevant.

The Bright Sparks are sets of exam papers , whereas the others are books.

Here's the link

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?g=f&p=7
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Yoyo - thanks. What I've got is a set of 4 exam papers in a folder, by Susan Daughtrey, but it doesn't say "bright sparks" on it. I'm just wondering if this just the "bright sparks" set rebranded and she's dropped the "bright sparks" title.

Not sure if you've posted the right link by the way!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

:oops: :oops:

Link now changed to correct one!!
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Yoyo - many thanks. The papers I have are in a folder identical to the one shown in the link as the Bright Sparks set. Just the ones I have say Susan Daughtrey in the top left hand corner, not Bright Sparks.

Other posters seem to be saying that Bright Sparks and Walsh are the hardest papers - harder than Nfer - would you agree?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I think NfEr are slightly harder or at least about the same..

Patricia is the real VR expert.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

The Susan Daughtrey papers supposedly progressively increase in difficulty. I know it is subjective, but I would consider them generally to be slightly harder than NFER.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Bexley mum 2

Bright Sparks cover the 21 types used by Nfer for their real tests.

The method and technique books, further practice and graded tests 1-5 and 6- 10 cover 35 plus types all in standard form.

Bright Sparks are a very good resource for the Nfer tests. They are harder in difficulty to the shop bought NFER but are on a par with the real tests.

Please also note that the shop bought Nfer only contain 15 types, they are missing type H I k N O and S as identified by the publishers IPS

Patricia
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Many thanks Patricia.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Bexley mum 2

It would appear that S Daughtrey no longer calls her series Bright Sparks. They were reprinted in 2008, so I assume at this stage she took the name away. I wonder why?

We will have to refer to them as something else, as we do not want parents buying her 7 books covering 35 plus types in standard form, when Nfer 21 types multiple choice is the content of the real test.

Patricia
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now