The Tutors VR CDs 1 & 2 - different questions ?

Questions and advice about our 11 Plus Interactive CDs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
wiltsman

The Tutors VR CDs 1 & 2 - different questions ?

Post by wiltsman »

Do the first and second The Tutors CDs for Verbal Reasoning contain the same set of questions, but with merely a different presentation, or are the questions different ?

(I'm also interested in the answer to the same question for The Tutors Maths CDs 1 & 2)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

CD 1 breaks the questions down into types of question eg compound words, hidden word etc. You will have 50 questions allof teh same type. they are useful for etra practice on weak areas.

CD2 has tests with a mix of different types of questions. Good for practicing timing

Try the free demos!
wiltsman

Post by wiltsman »

yoyo123 wrote:CD 1 breaks the questions down into types of question eg compound words, hidden word etc. You will have 50 questions allof teh same type. they are useful for etra practice on weak areas.

CD2 has tests with a mix of different types of questions. Good for practicing timing

Try the free demos!
Yes, I'm aware of the difference in format - I want to know if the same set of questions are used on both CDs. I already have the 2nd set of CDs, but I don't want to pay another 40+ quid for the same set of questions in a different arrangement.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

sorry no idea. You would have to ask Mike who wrote them.

try PM ing him.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I haven't used all the tests on CD2, and personally I don't find it as effective as CD1 - pencil and paper is more effective for tests. (Sorry Mike.)

Having said that, I believe that the questions are unique on both CDs.

Sally-Anne
programmer

Post by programmer »

Questions are unique on both CDs.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Wiltsman

The Tutors e-papers 1B-12B are the same questions as The Tutors published packs 1,2 and 3. They are basically the same product that is accessed differently. In the same way that you can either purchase a hard copy CD or download directly.

The Tutors aim has been to write unique questions across our Verbal Reasoning, Mathematics and Vocab Building product range for the full papers, short papers and the seven CDs.

We have not been informed, in the three years that they have been available, that a duplicate question has appeared.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
Christina11

Tutors Verbal Reasoning CD1

Post by Christina11 »

Hi. My daughter has just completed the first 25 questions on the Tutors CD1 on Word Letter Codes. She could not do 3 of them and neither could I! As far as I can see, it is impossible to work out the correct answer as the letters you do work out do not come up in the choices.

Please can someone help? The first question was:

no. 6 - BLOCK is YOLXP so what would KZGSV be. The answer given was PATHE.

no. 14 - HOSTEL is SLHGVO so what would TENNIS be. The answer given was GVMMRH.

no 22 - ERROR is VIILI so what would CRISP be. The answer given is XIRHK.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Chistina11

Thay are all MIRROR CODES.

Follows an old post of mine, hope it helps.
patricia wrote:MIRROR CODES

A B C D E F G H I J K L M | N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Immediately put a line between the M and N to signify the mirror.

If the code for ESTATE is VHGZGV

What is the code for HOUSE

Is it a mirror. Look at the first letter of the word and code are they mirrors = yes E is 5 in from the beginning of the alphabet and V is 5 in form the end. Must make a second check. Find a pair of letters that are obvious if possible. In this case A is obviously the mirror of Z.

Checks done. Proceed as mirror code.

What is the mirror of H = S
What is the mirror of O = L
What is the mirror of U= F
what is the mirror of S= H
What is the mirror of E= V

I teach my children to know the alphabet well. I explain that the mirror is between M and N ie 13 letters each side of the mirror. I also show them that E is the 5th letter from the left and V is the 5th letter from the right.

With this knowledge it makes it easier to find mirrors reasonably quickly.

If they are looking for mirror of P its 3 away from the mirror, 3 away from the other side of the mirror is K

If they are looking for the mirror of F, they know E is 5th, therefore F is 6th. they know V is 5th so the sixth is U.

If they are looking for the mirror of X then its 3 away from the right end so its pair is 3 away from the left end.= C

Patricia
Patricia
Christina11

Post by Christina11 »

Thank you so much, Patricia. It all makes perfect sense now.

Christina