practice papers walsh !

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
HYates

practice papers walsh !

Post by HYates »

hello can anyone advise please. I have read on this forum more than once that Walsh papers are quite difficult. Having worked through most of the material on this site I thought I would try Walsh - so this morning my son sat Walsh book 1 paper 4 (red stripes on cover !) and I was quite pleased that he scored 69/80 in the 50 mins (the 11 wrong where mostly vocab , but he said the maths was easy !)

Can anyone advise if that is a good score for Walsh book 1 ??

I am saving Bright Sparks till September so it will be interesting to compare ,
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Hyates

Walsh are known for their harder vocabulary. I tend to use them in my sessions rather than tests for that reason, I can then discuss the words as and when. Yes 69/80 is very acceptable for his first attempt.

You have to be careful of the maths in that they use brackets, in types G and I [as identified by IPS] In most of the questions you can tell your child to ignore the brackets and just work out the sum left to right as is normally expected on VR questions. However in some instances you need to take note of the brackets, I cross off these questions and tell my children not to to answer them [for example test 3, I think, Q18 and 20] I do this so as not to confuse the child, as many have not used BODMAS/BIDMAS in their schooling.

I am on Bright Sparks at the moment and will leave Nfer until just before the tests. Although shop bought Nfer are easier than the real tests and have HIKNOS missing, I do like the children to practice in exactly the same format leading into the tests. I ensure I practice HIKNOS [as identified by IPS] whilst completing these particular tests.

Patricia
HYates

Post by HYates »

many thanks Patricia
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now