Gifted and Talented????

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2outof3

Gifted and Talented????

Post by 2outof3 »

I opened the post this morning and almost fell over when I read that my daughter (at local grammar school) has been assessed as being in the top 10% of her year group and so was entitled to go on the gifted and talented register.

Being a selective school anyway, the letter stresses that the school adopts an inclusive approach to g&t and so basically nothing would change at school but she could register online to something and get additional work materials etc.

Now this is not a brag (I am staggered seeing as she seems fairly in the middle of her class for everything and in any event, I can't take credit for anything she does now) and am only posting to see if anyone else has registered and is it worth it etc. The last thing DD1 is going to do is want extra work on anything and when I read the letter to her she just laughed, and went back to watch the television........

My immediate feeling is that it's all very nice but doesn't actually mean anything and I should just file the letter along with the last school report.

Any views?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The school should be providing everything she needs - extension activites in every lesson.

'One-off' activities are of little value.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

interesting to hear that they are doing this as being a selective school a huge percentage should be considered G&T.
DDs GS say they consider all the girls to be G&T and hence don't actually register them - not sure if it makes any difference in the long run :roll:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The guidance is the top 10% in any school - ie those at the top of the group you have in front of you.

All (state) schools have to submit names of G&T in the Jan school census.

There are school and classroom quality standards

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcs ... ndtalented
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hi,
In my DD school the whole year group and the year group below was encouraged to register online with the organisation/ website for gifted children as the school argued that they all were " G & T". I am not sure if the school had some funding boost through encouraging this?

You could always E - mail them in Sept and ask what this means in practice.
Good luck 8)
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hi,

Just double checked my school letters.Yes it does seem that DDs' school is registering every child with the "young, gifted and talented" website.

Above and beyond this they also have to register their top 10% and make some (small) effort to extend them.
Hope that helps in some way?
2outof3

Gifted and Talented

Post by 2outof3 »

Thanks all for responses.

As I thought - it does seem to be a bit of a waste of time, but quite nice to be told anyway!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It is a waste of time if schools think it means out of school 'one-offs'.

In my school we try to give extension activities that challenge these higher attaining pupils.
Chelmsford mum

Re: Gifted and Talented

Post by Chelmsford mum »

2outof3 wrote:Thanks all for responses.

As I thought - it does seem to be a bit of a waste of time, but quite nice to be told anyway!
Your school might be wonderful at extending their G&T.It may be worth following up.
Lady.in.blue

Post by Lady.in.blue »

What is the website address called?

Can anyone join this site? I find that whether you are G&T or not if you want extention work you should be able to get it without being assessed suitable.

As I posted on beyond the 11 plus. My daugther was on the G&T list at primary school and as she is now going to grammar, they will take her name of the list and make her start all over again :shock:

I really don't believe this, I mean is this website any different whether you go to grammar school or not? :roll:

They are basically saying if she didn't pass her 11 plus she would be on the list at a normal school but she wont at a grammar school. (She dosen't believe she will be anyway).

I just believe this is silly. :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now