problem solving question

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
zhadakhan

problem solving question

Post by zhadakhan »

hi guys, im in the middle of helping my son get ready for his 11+ ive got him thru nearly every thing , and he seems to acheive over 85% touch wood :D but im stuck hes doing the interactive cd on his laptop excellant material btw highly recommended, but hes losing out on 6 marks due to a question in the problem solving question and basically at the age of 37 got to confess im stuck i dont know either, basically it is the question about , where for example, a person buys 2 bottles of wine for 15 euros and a dinner lunch for 63 euros and the person has worked out that the wine cost £8.60 and the dinner cost £47.00 so therefore how much is a 10 euro cap in pounds, helppppppppppppppp!!!!!! LOL what is this about can somebody explain the method out please, :roll: because unfortunately first time ive gt no idea :idea: :( and i have 1 sad child whos missing out on his 10 % marks to get over 90% cmon brain boxes out there CAN ANY 1 HELP PLEASE, THANKU , X
dadofkent

Re: problem solving question

Post by dadofkent »

zhadakhan wrote:hi guys, im in the middle of helping my son get ready for his 11+ ive got him thru nearly every thing , and he seems to acheive over 85% touch wood :D but im stuck hes doing the interactive cd on his laptop excellant material btw highly recommended, but hes losing out on 6 marks due to a question in the problem solving question and basically at the age of 37 got to confess im stuck i dont know either, basically it is the question about , where for example, a person buys 2 bottles of wine for 15 euros and a dinner lunch for 63 euros and the person has worked out that the wine cost £8.60 and the dinner cost £47.00 so therefore how much is a 10 euro cap in pounds, helppppppppppppppp!!!!!! LOL what is this about can somebody explain the method out please, :roll: because unfortunately first time ive gt no idea :idea: :( and i have 1 sad child whos missing out on his 10 % marks to get over 90% cmon brain boxes out there CAN ANY 1 HELP PLEASE, THANKU , X
Are the actual above numbers/costs accurate. The methodology can depend on the costs/numbers in the question. You may simply have to work out a conversion factor, i.e. x pounds = so many Euros, or you may be able to do it by subtraction if the numbers fall into place. If, say, the meal was 30 euros and the wine was 10 Euros, and the cap was 20 Euros (30-10), then the price of the cap, in pounds, would be the difference in prices of the meal in pounds and the wine in pounds.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Can you just type out the actual question please?
rosered100

Re: problem solving question

Post by rosered100 »

zhadakhan wrote:hi guys, im in the middle of helping my son get ready for his 11+ ive got him thru nearly every thing , and he seems to acheive over 85% touch wood :D but im stuck hes doing the interactive cd on his laptop excellant material btw highly recommended, but hes losing out on 6 marks due to a question in the problem solving question and basically at the age of 37 got to confess im stuck i dont know either, basically it is the question about , where for example, a person buys 2 bottles of wine for 15 euros and a dinner lunch for 63 euros and the person has worked out that the wine cost £8.60 and the dinner cost £47.00 so therefore how much is a 10 euro cap in pounds, helppppppppppppppp!!!!!! LOL what is this about can somebody explain the method out please, :roll: because unfortunately first time ive gt no idea :idea: :( and i have 1 sad child whos missing out on his 10 % marks to get over 90% cmon brain boxes out there CAN ANY 1 HELP PLEASE, THANKU , X
If they were the actual numbers in the q, then as 15 euros = £8.60, 10 euros = 2/3 x 8.60
Usually for forex calcs you would take 15/8.60 or 63/47 to get the exchange rate then multiply back up by the 10 to get the £'s you need.
zhadakhan

Post by zhadakhan »

just wana say a gr8 thanku to u all 4 ur help , this afternoon going to try it out and see ... let you all know how we get on with it , thanku , again :)
zhadakhan

Post by zhadakhan »

hi we not really had any sucess with the questions so here goes te question please help , thanks,
klaus went on a business trip to rome, he purchased a calculator for 12 euro a pen for 22 euro and a breifcase for 73 euros he worked out the calculator cost £8.40 the pen was £15.40 and the breifcase at £51.10 how much will he pay for a 10 euro cap in £'s
thats the question please can somebody explain how this is worked out , step by step , lol , im letting my 10 year old here, and the schools are shut too, so no help any where at the moment , because his tutors on holiday :) look forward to hearing from you , thanku , cya laters
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I've just answered your question on your other post.

hope it helps
zhadakhan

Post by zhadakhan »

thanks ive gt a very happy young boy thanks 2 u , cnt thank u enuf, cheers, yoyo luv zhada, :)