Past CSSE Papers required

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KP

Past CSSE Papers required

Post by KP »

Hi
My Son will be taking the KEGS exams on Nov'21 2009. I currently have purchased the past papers (Englist & Maths) from the CSSE web site for the year 2007,2008 and 2009.

I'm just trying to find if any parent has CSSE papers prior to 2007 for Maths and English and are willing to share, then please contact me. I would be really interested in those papers as it will give the child more confidence. These papers are no longer available from the CSSE website.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Regards
KP
moved

Post by moved »

KP

I have emailed you

Moving
First-timer

English past papers.

Post by First-timer »

Hi,
I first contemplated my son sitting the 11+ not so long ago. Foolish me, I know.
With only a couple of months to go before the exam I am happy with his progress in Maths and VR but English is a bit hit and miss. Part of the problem is that the available materials aren't on all fours with the format of the exam in Essex. I bought the CSSE's past papers for 2008 and 2009 entry but would love to get hold of some older English past papers.
Failing that, I'll make up my own papers but would prefer not to have to do this.
Thanks
Last edited by First-timer on Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hi First Timer,
You started in good time, don't worry.

Moving may have some leads for you when she gets on the forum again but I did make up my own.
I photocopied classics extracts e.g David Copperfield and modelled questions on both past papers that I had bought from CSSE.
They are straightforward to mimic:
E.g which word in line 14 means " "revolutionary"...answer "insurrectionary" ( actual past question :shock: )

Mimic the mark scheme too and just pick your passage carefully.Apart from that we just used the 12+ Bond comprehension papers which come close but not as difficult and I put a line through the grammar questions.

Last year was, I think, a non fiction passage.It is worth remembering that they can always change the type of text so I also practised with a play format and a poem.Just one of each...just in case.
Good luck 8)
First-timer

Thanks.

Post by First-timer »

Hi,

Thanks for your comment. We did a comprehension the other day which asked what "sans pareil" meant. He had a stab in the dark but really had no clue. At least in the Essex format there is a bit of a clue as the range of lines in the text is given.

I'm hoping he'll find the actual format a little easier to deal with. The text is more difficult but I think the questions themselves aren't too bad (if that makes sense). The synonyms section shouldn't be too horrific with a bit of exam technique and the punctuation section should be fine. He also seems to cope better with plays and poetry than prose so I'd be pleased if the comprehension wasn't just a lump of text.

He'll be attempting his first proper past paper this weekend so I'll have a better idea of what needs to be done after then. Should be fun! :wink:
moved

Post by moved »

I wondered if we would get a poem last year, but sadly not. I make my own papers as the old CSSE papers are not very relevant. Punctuation is quite easy to find. Copy some speech out of a piece of text and remove all punctuation. Get your child to add it in again. This is an easily mastered skill and earns approx 6 free marks. Play lots of word games, modern children have a poor vocab.

With my new starters who are weak in English I am giving them 4/5 short, easy papers each week. I am also giving them a couple of VR papers and about 15 pages of maths covering all of the basic areas. This is catch up and quick progress is necessary. Still mastering skills in the last week causes too much stress.

Work with the VR ensuring that your child doesn't waste time when they could take short cuts.

Feel free to pm me if you need advice I am not around much at the moment due to new job, imminent 11+ and house hunting.
pp

Post by pp »

Hi can i get some advise on English, my son seems to struggle with this, with only 8 weeks to go i am panicking.
moved

Post by moved »

PP

Push the punctuation. Only 6/8 marks but 12-16% of the exam is well worth having.

Use the Bond 5th books. Lots of papers - ignore the grammar section (save this for after the 11+ as they are good for general English). Online thesaurus and askoxford.com for all unknown words. Discussing the origins of words can help. Highlight all new words in every passage, then at the end of the paper look them up.
The word recognition section - use the endings -ly in the list so find an adverb in the passage, etc. Off to bed now. pm me if you need more help.

Good luck
pp

english

Post by pp »

Thank you for the advise, will take this on board.
mumglo

Past CSSE papers

Post by mumglo »

My DH will be siiting the 11 plus exams in Nov 2010. I have purchased the papers on sale from CSSE & have others, but seem not to have English papers 2000, 2002 & 2006. CAn anyone help please?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now