ke 5 ways or aston

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

um

ke 5 ways or aston

Post by um »

any ideas on whether ke 5 ways or aston is a better choice - we would prefer a boys only school but is 5 ways really a lot better than aston - thanks

sorry no caps etc as have baby in one arm
KenR

Post by KenR »

Don't think there is a great deal of difference beteen 5-Ways and Aston apart from the obvious that the former is Co-ed. I personally think KECHB is slightly different more intensive but not much between the other 2.

I would personally go for the school that has the easiest transport logistics. For information Aston is usually slightly easier to get into.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I personally think KECHB is slightly different more intensive but not much between the other 2.
I'll have to reserve judgement on that - the outlook for homework seems pretty challenging, but in the short term I understand that kids starting at Five Ways in September have been given a shed load of work to do over the holidays :shock: whereas ours has absolutely nothing!

From my limited knowledge, I can't see very much to choose between Five Ways and Aston except the co-ed aspect. If that's not a significant factor for you then I too would be heavily influenced by the practicality of travel.

Mike
um

transport

Post by um »

We're fortunate that the green buses for both 5 Ways and Aston schools actually go down our road right past our house - and they're about the same distance so logistics arn't really a swaying point. Although we'd prefer a boys school, if KE 5 Ways is actually a better school, with better pastoral care, stronger achievement and more facilities - we'd choose that above Aston. I've been to see Camp Hill and Aston with my son - last Autumn, but we missed 5 Ways because I was unwell so I havn't actually seen it. Just wondered if anyome had first hand experience of either school.
za1

Choices

Post by za1 »

My opinion is as follows :

1) If your child is bright and motivated, he/she will succeed at any school. On the other hand, gaining admission to a grammar school is only a start - absolutely no pointer of future success without being motivated.

2) A grammar school does, however, clearly offer a better education and slightly reduce the chance of your child getting mixed up with troublesome kids.

3) Based on this, my belief is that any of the grammar schools are superior to the local comprehensives.....if you have any doubts about whether one grammar school is better then the other....then bear in mind points 1) and 2) above.

4) That then leaves the final choice. I stronly believe that the best grammar school is the CLOSEST one to which they get admission. Distance should be a key factor...after all, it's your child who will be doing the travelling...not you. Make it as easy as possible for them.
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

Hi um!

First of all many congrats with the new addition to your family, was it a girl or a boy...I think many are curious to find out. I have to say although many a times I have been broody looking at my newborn nieces, I am relieved to hand them back to their mothers at night!!

Big up to you for coping with pregnancy, a newborn, looking after young children AND going on the 11 plus roller-coaster, and there I was feeling sorry for myself!

Is this your first time?

Sorry, back to the question you posted, I am in a similar dilemma. I was told by DS' tutor to just leave out KEFW and put KECH 1st,BV 2nd, KE Aston 3rd follwed by Handsworth and then BV.

Simply because of a)The distance and secondly he believes BV is a better school.

I don't know which to go for either, we have decided to go visit both schools with your son BEFORE you make any decisions. This can be done before the scheduled open days (thats what we are planning to do) and then decide. That way you will be able to get a feel of the journey times, school atmosphere and most of all your son can decide for himself. After all it is said we make our decisions within the first 30 seconds of seeing something!!(Subconsciously :shock: )

Apart from that talk to people who maybe have children, siblings or friends attending both schools. Siblings of mine have underlined the importance of travel distance, as they had to travel at least 90 mins either side to KECH every day, and hated it. They had 1-3 hrs homework to do every night!!

Kind regards,
FTM

We are also waiting for this years GCSE and A-level results :?
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi um

Having a son a KE 5-Ways I suppose I am somewhat biased, but I do believe that 5-Ways is very good on the pastoral side.

You might want to take a look at the alternative school prospectus or the parent guide

http://www.ke5ways.bham.sch.uk/sections ... _guide.pdf

http://www.ke5ways.bham.sch.uk/sections ... enotes.pdf
um

Thanks etc

Post by um »

Hello, I had a little baby boy - now I have 4 boys and a girl - he will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. Yes the nights are a bit of a shock - although baby is now starting to vaguely differentiate them from day, but we're glad he arrived healthily and safe. The older kids are very excited and love holding him (apart from my 2 year old who is a bit bemused and to be honest, bored now that his playgroups have finished for summer) I'm not getting younger so to be honest am taking a bit longer to recover at the moment.

This is my eldest who is sitting exams this Autumn so by the time I been through this 5 times my hair will be totally white! Remembering when he was this tiny, (seems only yesterday!) I thought babies were stressful - but now I know that 10 year olds and their education is much more stressful! Babies are so simple in comparison - no worries at all!

The travel time to both Aston and 5 Ways from our house is pretty much the same via the green bus - so I can't choose between them on that ground. Travel to Bishop Vesey will involve 2 trains and a less secure journey. We were thinking about putting the following 6 preferences down:
KE Camp Hill
KE Aston
Bishop Vesey
Queen Mary's
Handsworth Grammar
Our local comp

Any thoughts on that?
I would like to visit 5 Ways and Bishop Vesey's as soon as possible - is it possible to arrange a visit outside of open days?
I've also looked at Bishop Vesey's Ofsted report - and it got 'satisfactory' - any thoughts on this?
za1

Choice

Post by za1 »

Um

There is no right answer to your question other then your own - and your child's - preference. This can only be made after you have visited your schools. However, I would advise that you choose the prefernce primarily on distance. If there is little between the distances between 2 schools...then the next criteria would obviously be the one you like most. A bit of a simplistic answer.....but that really is all you need to know. Everyone will have a different opinion about a school. Different opinions wil simply confuse you. Use the criteria which suit you and your child : a) distance b) your preferences after the open days.
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

Wonderful to hear from you um!! You really are a supermum!

I agree, why don't you take it in your stride, and let your son and yourself decide when you have visted the schools.
That's what we intend to do, and I think its ok to visit outside the open days.

take care, school holidays will be a busy time for you!!

FTM
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now