Hello anyone doing the 11+ this oct09?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

j0anne

Hello anyone doing the 11+ this oct09?

Post by j0anne »

Hello

I am new so be gentle (please lol)

Our eldest son is 10 will be 11 in march 2010, we cant afford a tutor so I do some work with him everyday....just hope it will be enough at present he is scoring 50 to 52 out of 60 on test papers which I think is good....but will it be enough who knows!

We have told him that doing his best is all we can ever ask and hope for and he is a good little human so where ever he goes as long as he tries he will do well I am sure but after reading thru these froums I have gone from being calm coach to a nurotic headcase lol... :shock:

oh well good luck to anyone else out there

jo
Gatley

Post by Gatley »

Hi Jo,

My son will be sitting his eleven plus this year. We've had a few tutors but they have been no more than "glorified babysitters"...so you're not missing out there.

Keep doing practice papers but dont put too much pressure on him.

Good Luck.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Welcome Joanne. We are very gentle here in Trafford so do not worry.

I am on an off year this time round having been through the process twice before, but please ask any questions you think off and we will try to answer them!

On the subject of tutoring, although it seems like everyone does it, they don't. There are plenty of us who have tutored our kids in whole or in part. The point is that you are preparing him as best you can and that's all you can do.
Salfordmum

Post by Salfordmum »

Hi Joanne
I am helping my daughter prepare at home at the moment, we are doing about 1/2 an hour each morning, little 15 minute VR tests that I bought off this website, looking at weaker areas in maths, and encouraging her to read something every day. We had a tutor until the end of term, her advice for summer was not to push them too hard, and to read as much as possible. My daughter needs to speed up if anything, but I'm not going to pressure her too much.
I work in a high school where boys have not passed the 11+ and last October 2 ex students went on to study medicine. It's not the end of it all if they dont pass, I keep reminding myself! Good Luck.
TIDDLYMUM

Welcome

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi JOanne

Yes we too are doing the exams in September and October. We have used the services of a local tutor, very reasonably priced and with an excellent reputation and success rate (fingers crossed). Couldn't tutor DS myself, too busy at work and we just argue anyway!!!!

Just running through papers over the hols and practicing story writing.

Your test scores sound pretty good to me- don't think you will have any problems.

Best of luck with it all, which school/s are you hoping for?

TM x
j0anne

Post by j0anne »

Hi we are trying for Sale ...tbh i am so proud of just the way he is aproaching the whole thing, he is putting his best foot forward bless him i think i will be worse than him on exam day lol
j0anne

Post by j0anne »

Salfordmum wrote:Hi Joanne
I am helping my daughter prepare at home at the moment, we are doing about 1/2 an hour each morning, little 15 minute VR tests that I bought off this website, looking at weaker areas in maths, and encouraging her to read something every day. We had a tutor until the end of term, her advice for summer was not to push them too hard, and to read as much as possible. My daughter needs to speed up if anything, but I'm not going to pressure her too much.
I work in a high school where boys have not passed the 11+ and last October 2 ex students went on to study medicine. It's not the end of it all if they dont pass, I keep reminding myself! Good Luck.
thats just what we are doing almost mirror image (apart from the tutor)...but we are having loads of summer fun also
square_root

Post by square_root »

am I right in thinking that there is no actual 11+ in Trafford anymore, just individual entrance exams? (well not 'just' but you know what I mean!)
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

You are right. Each of the Trafford grammars has its own entrance exam.
caz

why did they get rid of the 11 plus

Post by caz »

they said it was too stressful for the kids ,i think it was alot more stressful standing at alt boys on saturday,we knew where the kids were upto with the 11 plus 'now kids that havnt got a chance are being put in for all the exams.and the pass mark has gone up because of all the tutoring,i did the 11 plus many years ago and if you wre clever you passed ,now it seems that you pass if you have spent a fortune on a tutor!!!!!!!!!!!!!